Hello !!

There are loads of us secreted around the Vendee - you will bump into us in the supermarkets, wandering around studiously studying the labels etc... Queueing at the post office is where I seem to bump into people !

We live just outside Pouzauges and we love the area (it's very reminiscent of Buckinghamshire where I grew up and lived until fairly recently). 

The people are (contrary to the opinions of the French from other regions) warm and friendly and have great sense of humour.  We have been made to feel very welcome, and the other day when I got a flat tyre, found my neighbour in the driveway changing it for me !!  Without being asked and after his wife had already offered and taken my kids to school for me. (my husband is currently working in the UK).

Welcome to the Vendee !

Jooles

Hi Felv,

Yes, as Neil predicted... here I am!  http://www.the-vendee.co.uk (rather easier to communicate than the more primitive url above). Everything from cultural events to Anglican church services, routes from Channel ports to Vendee Globe info.

Have always found all Vendean neighbours to be the kindest people on earth. From bringing the tractor along to jump-start our car, brazing some tie-bars to hold a wall together, getting rid of unwanted bees' nest, to blitzing our garden in a time of dire family emergency.

Not sure what we have contributed in return:
had them round for bizarre English experiences (Pimm's) and strange meals (curry, lamb with mint sauce, exotic Jamie dishes and Delia desserts), introduced them to parsnips and decent baked potatoes, taken round fun UK toys for their kids, thrown confetti at their weddings and wept at their funerals...
Oh, and given them endless sources of conversation among their friends and family to fill in those long winter evenings, along the lines of: "Well, you'll never believe this, but *our* English do .........."  I imagine them cackling at our incompetence, like those robots in the old "Smash" commercials !

I'm sure you'll love it.

Angela

http://www.the-vendee.co.uk

Hello,

We are here in Sainte Hermine - not far from Chantonnay.

I would agree with everything said by Angela and Jooles about The Vendee and its people.

plus some of the English here are pretty nice too!

This forum has been great for getting to know who is around the region aswell as how to deal with the bureacracy that is just part of living here in France.

It is the first anniversary for our move over here on the 10th January and we have no regrets.

Natalie

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

We bought our holiday home near Mouilleron en Pareds 18 mths ago and we love there. We spent out first summer out there this year and did loads of exploring. We have a young amily so if you know any good places to go - pass them on !! Can't wait to get back there.

Emma

• 2 months later...

Hi, we (me, my hubby, 2yr old and cat) have also just moved to the Vendee. We are renting in the Challans area, but are looking for property / land like everyone else!

We have found the people up here - both French and English to be much friendlier than the area we rented last - near Ruffec, Charente - sorry Charentaise! Perhaps its something to do with them being friendly northeners?????

If anyone wants to chat/meet and talk about the fun of relocation, just give us a shout. We are willing to host a kiddy/playgroup chat session at our place, so let us know. Anyone who is also looking into aspects of self build over here, we can compare notes.

This area seems to offer so much: sea, beaches, ports, shops, lovely countryside inland and we have only just scratched the surface!