Accommodation in or around Le Mans - May

Except that this year I believe the Le Mans 24hr is over

17-18 June (http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/live/pages/accueil.html)

I have a suspicion that the 21/May is the French Motorbike Grand

Prix (might be wrong on this though as I don’t follow the sport http://www.gpfrancemoto.com/)

– which would only use the smaller course (4Km) and not last quite as long.

Ian

Not into the sport myself but the normal format is Friday

practice/qualification races day, Sat same as Fri, Sun some more practice

(first thing) then the 4 championship races (normally none longer than 30 times

round the Bugatti circuit – less than an hour).  Maybe changed this year but there are normally several categories

of bike and thus they need several different races rather than one “big and

long” one.

Ian

[quote user="Dicksmith"]The 24-hour Moto is in

April, apparently, but I'm not clear which circuit is used.[/quote]

I don't know either but I reckon they'd get dizzy going round the Bugatti for

24 hours (like when as a kid you spin round and round and round then fall over –

something you find alcohol does far better as you get older).

Ian

The motorbike 24 Hours (22-23rd April this year) uses only the Bugatti Circuit (Circuit Permanent du Sarthe), and it is largely because of this that the section through the Dunlop Chicane and under the bridge has been reprofiled (several times) over recent years. More work was recently completed (including discovery of a WW2 bomb under the track!") all with the aim of making the turn onto the Bugatti circuit safer for guys on bikes. They used to blat over the hill beneath the bridge, whip down the other side, and then have to do a sharp right against the camber to begin the infield section of the Bugatti. Now there are vast flowing curves and good spectator viewing.

The 24 Hours for GT and sportscars in June (start time changed to 5.00 pm on Saturday June 17th this year to accommodate World Cup football kick-off times) uses the whole circuit, with public roads closed on the Wednesday and Thursday afternoons and evenings (until about 12:30 am) for qualifying, and then from early Saturday until about an hour after the end of the race on Sunday for the race. Expect chaos on all roads to and from le Mans from the previous weekend, with the Monday after being just about the worst. 

The full Le Mans circuit will also be closed to public traffic on June 4th this year for official testing ahead of the Vingt Quatre Heures.

The only other event for which the entire circuit is used is the Le Mans Classic. This was introduced in 2002, and staged in September, with a series of races over a 24 hour period for classic cars. It was then moved to July from 2004, and will be staged this year over the weekend of July 8th and 9th, with practice and qualifying on the Friday.

In addition, there is a 24 Hour truck race in October (date this year being 28th/29th) that sticks to the Bugatti Circuit, although "off-road" events through Chemins des Boeufs are also featured!

The French Motorbike Grand Prix (not a 24 hour event) is on May 21st this year. Further information from the official Le Mans website at www.lemans.org

I take it from the tone of your post that you think our 'off-topic' chatter has prevented, in some way, someone from giving you the answer you want. I would suggest you think about that for a moment.

I do find it amazing the way that some posters get huffy because no-one has an answer to their query...

[quote user="Gunner"]

replies seem to be drifting off in another direction from the question. I will try Anglo Info instead.

[/quote]

Sounds like a good plan. 

After all it was you asking for people’s help.  People responded.  Do you

think you have exclusive ownership of a thread ?  Are you appreciative that people responded ?  Sounds like you are not.

Maybe another forum is best if you have such a “I require

only posts related to my question”.

Sorry but a forum is more open than that ?

Bye

Ian

I'm sorry my contribution met with such evident disdain. I was responding to comments posted by others, and if I went "off topic", then I apologise, although I wasn't aware I'd transgressed the boundaries of forum etiquette. I must also admit to having been under the misconception that I had already sent a PM in response to the original question giving details of a gite in Mulsanne, but now realise this was in response to an almost identical request from Dordognecarol. Well, she got the question in first, and I hope she was able to take up my recommendation.

SORRY SORRY SORRY if I sounded a bit rude with my reply, I certainly didn't mean to upset anyone. Even if I didn't receive exactly what I asked for the replies were very interesting anyway. 

I also apologise to whoever got sent my first attempt at this reply as I obviously pushed the wrong button somewhere.

All sorted in the end for our group of 8 motorbikes for the Moto GP.