receptive primary schools? families in your area?

I am seeking schools in the area that are accustomed to welcoming and dealing with native English speaking students. My son will be seven when we arrive and he speaks English and Spanish. We are thinking about renting in Saintes while looking for a home, but we are open to other areas with shops and playmates for our children.

How many foreign families are in your area?

Do you like the schools there?

Up to what level do the schools go in your area?

Thanks!!!!!! Michi

Michele,

Our local primary school in St Savinien was very welcoming to our youngest. Over the last ten years they have become used to having english speaking children as many young british families have now moved to the area.

PM me if you need anymore info.

Tim.  

I can't say that we have a lot of knowledge on this subject, being the

only (English) family that I know of in our area (mostly retired/second

home owners). Quite welcome to share our experiences if you wish to

contact us, but from previous posts on the subject it seems that

British children in French schools is very much a hit and miss affair.

We have 3 girls who entered 3 different schools, and all 3 schools were

very sympathetic to our cause and were a great help. Other parents seem

to have found themselves in a town where the school doesn't really want

to know. You're quite right to put finding a suitable school on your

agenda.

PS I don't even know where Saintes is, so probably nowhere near us!

Michelle,

We live near Gemozac, which is 20 minutes south of Saintes, the opposite direction of TimC. It has a maternale, primaire and a college.

We have two girls who 4 years ago were aged 6 and 4 when they entered the local schools, at the time, and  now, there are very few English speaking children in the school, it was a bit of a challenge for the schools, the girls and us, but we got through it.

Be aware that surrounding your children with other English speaking children can sometime cause cliques to be formed.

There are a lot of parents who state "my child was bilingual in 3 months" wel that is not always the case.

It is very helpful if one or both of the parents has a good grasp of the language, as the homework only comes in French.

Both girls are very happy and content , and now speak the language very well. (unlike me) My wife is fluent, which has helped a great deal with schooling.

Feel free to PM me if I can asssit any further.

• 2 weeks later...