Tourist Prices in the Summer

This survey and table of typical prices in several towns of the Region shows large differences on such things as Ice creams, coffees, a beer, jug of rosé etc..

An example: 1,10€ for a coffee in Mende, and 3€ in Carcassonne

The cheapest price has a green blob, the most expensive a red one

http://www.midilibre.fr/2012/08/09/le-pigeon-et-le-juste-prix,546237.php

Well I am not too sure about this. Firstly where in Carcassonne are they talking about? If it is Le Cité I can understand as shops pay a premium to be there. Certainly in the centre of town coffee is cheaper as is the wine (4€ for 500cl in some restaurants in the big square). Round here, say in a 20km radius you would pay 2€ for a small black coffee. Then there is the question, say with wine, where the cafe gets it from and it's quality, 1.50€ might be cheap but if it is cr*p and the 5€ wine is excellent I would rather have the latter. In general some of the the prices seem quite normal to me. I forgot, beer round here is 2.20€ a glass.

The article said that the journalists went into the first shop of each sort they came to in each place, so it wasn't looking at all shops etc.

We pay 1.30€ for a café or allongé at our favourite café, and it comes with a very tasty little biscuit too; this is in the loveliest square in town, which attracts many tourists. It can cost quite a bit more depending on which café we go to, and probably doesn't have a biscuit; the cheapest I've seen it locally is 1.20.

I agree about the wine; I'd far rather pay a little more for a wine I really enjoy, such as a gris. We seem to have more tapas/wine bars opening recently, with a wide variety of wines by the glass/pichet.

Yer pays yer money .... I work on avoiding the main tourist areas - as indeed I did in the centre of London, and go to the back streets and where the locals go .... as for coffee, around here 1.40 ish for a small black, 2,20 for grand creme,  beer 2.20, lots of wine so usually cheaper ... but this is the south of France, and in the tourist areas they will put up prices until no-one pays ...  when I go to Carca I would expect it to be more expensive in the tourist trap of La Cité, but you can stay as long as you want and watch the world and his wife go by!

Judith - henceforth to be known as 'Back Street Judith' !![6]

With all due respect to Norman, this is a piece of nonsense.  I reckon that most of the Midi Libre staff reporters have gone on holiday and one of the juniors wondered what he / she could come up with by way of a story. Surprise, surprise, a beer can be more expensive in a pleasant tourist area.

The real story is the price of a beer on the Champs d'Elysee a couple of weeks ago when the Tour de France ended - €17, so I'm reliably informed.