Am off to northern France next week, and wondering if anyone can recommend any good B&Bs, about 3-pis standard in Gites de France classification, or equivalent?

Ideally around Bergues/Cassel/St-Omer for one, and Hesdin/Montreuil/7 Valles area for the other.

Many thanks...

Angela

Would recommend you buy French Bed & Breakfast by Alastair Sawday, there are some wonderful places in there. Last time we stayed near Montreuil, we got bed and breakfast in a fantasatic Knights Templar house by a mill stream but that one wasn't in the book and I've lost the details. You could phone the local tourist office. Goes without saying that they are all very good value for money.

I can thoroughly recommend a lovely B&B in Willeman, near Hesdin, right in the heart of the 7 Valleys: it's run by a very helpful and charming British couple - he is a semi-retired solicitor & offers a full re-location service if you're thinking of upping sticks! She does the B&B + evening meal if required & is an excellent cook. Their house is utterly idyllic, overlooking the village church & spectacular woodlands, and it's very comfortable & totally spotless. Their website is www.bandbnorthernfrance.com and you can also find them on 'French Connections' at www.frenchconnections.co.uk. I think they charge around E55 a night for B&B.

By the way I have also used Sawday's books, twice, both very poor experiences, the worse being a hotel in Paris which took our booking & turned out to be shut for renovation when we arrived with 2 young kids in tow.

• 2 weeks later...
We use the Gites de France website for finding them, at one time, you could request a booklet and we received them from all over the place free of charge - but you have to pay for then now.

We really liked a Chateau Ferme I think between St Pol and Arras - can't remember the name now, but it was not far from St Omer. We liked it so much that we booked to go again. I spoke to them on the phone and also sent a letter of confirmation. When we arrived we were told that they had made an error and double booked us. Clearly, from the lights in the B & B windows, they had decided to push us out on the basis of a larger booking! They had booked us in at another nearby, but frankly, it was no where near the same standard. Whereas the Chateau Ferme had private bathrooms to each room, a communal living room with dining table, settee and TV and a communal kitchen with fridge, the one we went to had separate shower, separate loo, hanging rails for clothes and my husband couldn't even stand straight in half of the room! There was no where to sit, and my kids ended up putting a plank between their beds to use as a card table.

So, if you see somewhere you like, it may be better to book it through the Gites de France website rather than by telephone and letter, and also keep an eye out for anything in the area I mentioned fitting those descriptions, and be wary.

Jill (99)

Had a great few days in the area:
Two nights at seafront B&B in Wimereux: lovely rooms, awful breakfasts.
Two nights at a Relais in Clairmarais (in marshes near St-Omer): less atmospheric rooms, but *great* food! Had "potjevleesch" for the first time - delish! And B&B was half the price of the first place!

Actually, as a guide book I found the "Guide du Routard" excellent on all fronts.

Angela