In the long running saga of our reluctantly acquired stray dog, has anyone got any ideas for the best way of rehoming/ boarding out our poodle-ish house guest?  He arrived three months ago in very poor condition and despite our best efforts we cannot find him a home and we have to go back to England on the 25th October until Christmas.  Kennels would be too expensive and I've been advised to insist that the Marie takes responsibility for him although they weren't at all keen when I tried that approach.  We've tried everything and he is a healthy, happy little dog who deserves a chance but we are running out of options now.  The refuges in Manche don't want to know so we are getting desparate.

A happy ending!  Thank you to those who took an interest.  Poodle now to be named Pedro has gone to a new home with an English family in Manche.  With another dog and two cats, plus a little girl to play with he has landed on his feet and we are feeling very relieved.

I've only just caught up with this tale because I can't bear to read the sad stories about animals I can do nothing about. I.m glad there is a happy ending.

One tip - if you find a stray animal take him to the nearest vet. They can check to see if he has a chip (puce) and notify the owners. We found a lovely labrador sort of dog recently just about to wander onto the express way. Fortunately a vet was quite near, read his chip, and phoned the owner. Obviously if the animal has been abandoned the chances are it won't have been chipped either, but it's worth a try.

LIz (29)