I have been give the name and number of a cattery in Montbourg, (south of Cherbourg) I have spent the last week phoning but there is always an answer phone. I have left messages in French and English but nobody gets back to me. Does anyone know if this cattery exists or is there another one in the area you can recommend.

Thanks

Diana

The lady owner has just returned my calls, it seems she had problems with her phone line. She sounded very plesant and we are going to have a look arround on Monday. I will let you know if it is any good.

Diana

[quote]The lady owner has just returned my calls, it seems she had problems with her phone line. She sounded very plesant and we are going to have a look arround on Monday. I will let you know if it is any g...[/quote]

I visited to have a look arround. The owner really does care about the animals she looks after but I was concerned about the level of hygene. The cats had large pens (for up to 5 cats from the same family) with a small shed for their bed etc. I was shown one run that had 2 cats who had been there for 10 days and it stank. Also the base of the run was grass and earth and it was covered in you can guess what. Our cat has all his vaccinations but I am worried about him catching something. I was not asked if he was vaccinated so am assuming some of the other cats will not be.

I understand from this forum that some french catteries can be very bad when compared to those in the UK. Am I being over fussy or should I accept this as the norn.

Thanks

Diana

[quote]I visited to have a look arround. The owner really does care about the animals she looks after but I was concerned about the level of hygene. The cats had large pens (for up to 5 cats from the same fa...[/quote]

Hi Diana

PLEASE don't accept those standards as the norm. If the cattery is registered with the French Service Veterinaire then the owners have minimum requirements to adhere to, one of which is that cats must be supplied with litter trays which must be cleaned out at least once a day and more often if 'soiled'. I would be most surprised if they would allow a grass/earth run for the cats as it would be impossible to clean and disinfect.

They should also insist on seeing your cats vaccination records to ensure that all jabs are up to date.

Our dog kennels have a grass exercise area (as well as individual concreted runs) but the dogs are exercised under supervision and I clear up after them as soon as they have done their business.

I think we are probably too far away from you to be of any help, but if you are not happy with what you have seen try and find somewhere else!

Good luck!

Emma

Thanks for your reply. When I collected the cat from the UK cattery yesterday I asked their opinion and they said much the same as you have. When we arrive for good in a couple of weeks I will ask at the local vets and try and find somewhere better. Everything at the french cattery was new and it should have been possible to keep very clean, they had invested a lot of money but did not seem to be running it for commercial gain. The whole set up was very strange. They also had a huge enclosure for rescue animals. Their house was also full of their own cats and the smell was .. out of this world!

I will keep looking

Diana