holiday house in limousin

My husband and I are in the process of buying a holiday house close to Crozant.  Is there anyone there who can tell me abit about this area (I have done alot of reading, but not spoken to anyone who actually lives/regularly holidays there). We are visiting it for the first time in april, then have to return to France in June for the final signing (we are from New Zealand).  I had some woman tell me I was buying into an industrial area - please tell me this is not true - all our information tells us it is very rural and where we will be is private but not isolated.  We are 2 mins drive from Crozant, 15 mins drive from Dun le Palestel, and 15 mins drive from the A20.  Any information on the general area, climate, best markets etc would be very welcome.  Also, the house we are buying is a "chalet", not a stone house.  Are there many chalets in this area?  Have not seen any others advertised for sale.  Thankyou, look forward to any replies,

Anita Haultain

• 1 month later...

Industrial area??? Never!! You are moving to a very rural, beautiful area and close to many lovely sites of minor interest. This is an unspoilt part of France that retains most of the charm that we love. It is quiet and easy going. The A20 is very handy to get to Limoges airport or to Paris.

The downside is that it does not have the "cache" of the Dordogne or Provence but this is reflected in the prices. It is not near the sea or mountains for winter sports. You are close to the reservoirs (used for water sports) created in the Creuse for hydrolectricity. There are many electric pylon routes leading away from the generators but they are not too intrusive and many people don't even know they are there.

I am sure you will love it. Good luck, Alistair

We too are in the process of buying a property in Limousin, Chirac.  We have travelled a little in this area and have been to Dun le Palastel, the only industry that we have seen is what you would expect in/around a large town (Limoges) and a paper factory near Saint Junien, none of which we found obtrusive.  Good luck with your holiday home, we may bump into each other in a hypermarket!