Opening a Cafe

Bonjour!!!

We are a young family who have just moved to the Haute vienne and would like some advise good or bad? do's and dont's.The house we bought many years ago use to be the cafe,and us and the locals would like to reopen this service but we would like to know a little bit more than we do.

We have been advised to go through the chambre de metiers as this opens you up to alot better variety of food.

We have spoken to the locals and they have asked for a bread depot, epicerie,bar,tabac,but we have heard many different stories about the alchole licence,can you borrow 1? or is it 10,000 euro to buy 1 if there is 1 for sale?

Our Mairie is being very supportive as he would also like a bar. Is there laws on opening opposite a church?if so at the dicretion of whom? because i cant seem to find out who gives the yes or no on that score.

We dont want a get rich quick sceme or to earn loads of money just to get by on tickover so we can stay here. We would really appreciate any views.

MERCI

A BIENTOT

I can't help you on much on this but am sure there is no law against opening a cafe opposite a church.    Where I live there where two - one opposite on the side and one at the front.   Both are now closed, sadly, and we no longer have a cafe in the village.  I know you say you don't want to make a lot of money, but a word of warning - unless you are lucky you will probably make a loss.   That's what happened to all the cafes round us, and we live in a village of 700 inhabitants.