You want what for lunch???!!!

Chrisb

If you ever wanted proof that internet translation websites are fairly useless, then how about these for evidence......................anyone fancy 1. Part of the butcher to the style of the day 2. Crumble of the fisherman in provencale 3.Browned of walmut of holy jaques in the noilly prat 4.Net of roasted bar singes in the ricard, the fall of fennel and matches vegetables..........and my personal favourite.... Froth (moss) in apples and knob and its toffy in the milk !!!!!: 

We went to lunch today to a favourite restaurant which has recently changed hands and these little gems are from their new menu.................I tactfully explained to the new owner that these were probably the funniest translations I had ever seen and she explained that they had used an internet translation site. She accepted with gratitude my offer to take away a menu and translate it into something slightly more understandable!!

Regards

Chris

[quote]If you ever wanted proof that internet translation websites are fairly useless, then how about these for evidence......................anyone fancy 1. Part of the butcher to the style of the day 2. Cr...[/quote]

I don't think it's just internet translations - we've been laughing at menu translations for years - before the internet was in common use. Some have been quite rude - I wish I could remember them. We should keep a record of them really.

Just remembered some "tickley sliced salmon" took us ages to realise it meant thickly. Also "5 queens" but I've seen funnier.

I did come across a tourist information page about the St Omer region which had been translated electronically, that too was hilarious. It said that the park in St Omer was hardly (a peine) worth a visit, whereas it meant "fortement". It also mentioned something about a tour de France cyclist crossing the area near St Omer before screwing him!!!! Boulonnais - the region had been literally translated. Oh and does anyone know that lovely town in the same region "Curves"? I've not been there, but it will always be known as Curves in this family. Cristal of Curves doesn't quite have the same ring though!