Immobilier's fees

Depends, Edward.  If the property is sold FAI and you make an offer which is accepted by the seller, sometimes the seller and the agent come to an agreement whereby both take a bit less so that your offer is accepted.

Last year, an agent kept coming back to us about a property that we liked and kept saying the seller would take this amount and then that amount.  In the end, the seller came up with a final figure which wasn't unreasonable.

As the agent was an independent one, that is, not in a chain (where perhaps fees are fixed), I waited for him to offer to reduce his fees.

He didn't despite me leaving the question hanging in the air on several occasions.  So, I went off and found another property.

Fees are not fixed, and agents will often vary their fees in order to get a decent offer accepted. There's a lot more scope for negotiation on fees with higher priced houses, particularly when you go to the agent direct rather than through a British referral agent. If you want a reduction on a 20,000€ hovel forget it, but you'd be daft to pay 7% on a 750,000€ manoir.

You might consider the fees to be 'outrageous' but they are high for good reasons. Particularly at present, selling houses is a very competitive business and if any agent could corner the market by charging 2% they would. Even at 8% many are going out of business.