honey for hay fever ?

valB

My daughter-in -law in Uk is over six months pregnant and suffering badly with hay fever which she does every year. Due to her condition there is very little she can take to releive the sneezing and runny sore eyes. She enquired in a Herbal Remedy Shop and all they could suggest was trying LOCALLY made honey, made in the area where she lives to be sure of the same pollen. Has anyone ever heard of this before or can anyone come up with any suggestions as she is really suffering at this time.

Yes I have heard of this. The honey must be local as it has the pollen from the local plants that is effecting your daughter.

You are suppose to build up an immune system to the pollen which is causing the hay fever. Well worth a try as the honey isn't going to harm anyone.

Thank you for your replies and I will forward them onto her. I know she is going to her village fete today and she was hoping there would be a stall selling local honey as it is a little Devon village surrounded by farms.

I am in France and suffer from hay-fever.  You can get individual sachets of anti-allergy eye drops here (and in Germany where I first found them) They are wonderful at stopping the itching.  I cannot imagine any problem with pregnancy with eye drops.  Try the local pharmacy/Boots.  Also in France I have been prescribed a nasal spray (Nasacort) which says "speak to your Doctor if pregnant" but does not say it cannot be used. 

I never bothered with asking a doctor about allergies in the UK but I would in your daughters position.

Good luck.

Mrs H