powerdesal Posted January 18, 2009 Share Posted January 18, 2009 I have just been involved in a 'discussion' (argument) regarding the value of low energy lightbulbs and the recent UK press reports on the withdrawal from sale of conventional incandescent bulbs over time. This is, I think also likely to happen in France (or is already happening).The figures quoted state that low energy bulbs use 20% of the electricity, the remaining 80% being 'wasted energy'. This 'waste' is heat energy.If you have 3 x 60w of conventional lighting in your sitting room (not an unusual amount), ie 180w then your 'new' demand will be 36w, saving 144w of energy, but.......that 144w of heat energy was contributing to the maintenance of the room temperature, therefore you will have to increase the heat input to the room by 144w to keep the status quo.If the heat input is by electricity you save sweet FA on your leccy bill but have paid out lots more for the new bulbs, A losing situation.If your heating is by oil then you are losing even more.Discuss..... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now