UK Post Code for Non-Res. Online Tax Self Assessment

Bertiebe

Sorry if this doesn't belong here but I didn't quite know where else to put it.  By all means we can move it if there is a better place.

OK, here it is.

Just been trying to fill in my UK self assessment online and couldn't get past step 1 because it insisted on prompting me for a mandatory UK post code.  After several 'phone calls (most of which didn't reply) I got through to v. helpful techdesk person who calmly said: "Ah yes, this is a known problem; you have to put in a fictitious postcode"... right, no mention of it on FAQs etc... that would be silly.  You'd've been proud of me; I thanked her very calmly and politely without losing my temper.

Q1 1IJ (that's Quebec one, space, one India Juliet)

Hope this helps some of you.

I remain,

Bertiebe

We had this problem but thought fast. We own a commercial property in the UK which is rented out so put that post code in but did not tick the box to change our address.  Seems to have worked! I got my repayment 4 days later.

H.

(Edit:  Online filing website says you cannot file online if you are non resident but I received a notice to deliver that says please do it online!! This actually arrived after I had done it but I have kept the letter in case my filing is queried later.)