It all started with a call from Margaret Thatcher. . .

just john

What will the future be?, there are so many reports and counter reports, I read one recently that predicted that the UK's standard of living was due to drop to 9th in the world, the good thing was that it was above Germany and the rest of Europe, who knows, but there might be a clue in this article . . .

You are the only developer in the world that could do Canary Wharf,” she told the company.
The rise of Canary Wharf in the past 25 years and that of Sir George, 66, are extraordinary stories. 
After moving to New York to work on the World Financial Center, Sir George found himself part of the elite team that was sent to London to work on Canary Wharf.
The estate is 97pc full and this year its workforce will clear 100,000 when JP Morgan moves into the former headquarters of Lehman Brothers.
“You close your eyes and in 25 years the City and Canary Wharf will be one element,” he adds.
Banks from emerging economies will come,” says Sir George. “ I think the London business sector will thrive beyond the economic downturn. You still have stability, regulation, the rule of law, the best professionals, and the best workforce. We have only China Construction Bank located in Canary Wharf [at the moment], but I think a lot of the Indian and the BRIC countries will start moving towards London. In a way, a safe UK banking system will attract a lot of these banks.”
Sir George has even started receiving calls from political leaders seeking his knowledge for major regeneration projects overseas, much like Mrs Thatcher in 1987. Only this time it’s from China.

telegraph. /Sunday-interview-Canary-Wharf-Group-chief-executive-Sir-George-Iacobescu.