Complete France Forum

Royal Hospital Nurse Hoax victim takes her own life

Frederick

Public displays of grief ..... all very sad. But something at the back of my mind thinks this is all leading up to some massive compensation claim. Of course money can't bring back the nurse and I am sure the grief is genuine, but with the involvement of said MP it's all a little too ... er, orchestrated ... for my liking.

I am sure you are correct on this. What is the old saying, 

"Where there is blame, there is a claim"

No doubt there will be both in this case.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the days go by and now today in spite of the most distressing news of the children and their teachers being murdered, this lady is still quite well up in the headlines. And I have no idea why.

We are told she was a strict catholic and as far as I was aware it is forbidden and a mortal sin to commit suicide and people who did, at one time could not be buried in hallowed ground........... And yet, the same catholic church apparently holds a service, the family, who I do feel very sorry for, are now main headlines and are doing little eulogies on the news. It is not news.

The lady only passed the call on, she didn't do anything else. I have lost patience with this now. IF she committed suicide because she passed this call on, then suicide was not the inevitable path she should have been on. I can only believe that there were other problems.

Compensation? really? I hope not. She didn't commit any major crimes, well make mistakes sometimes, we take the rollocking, or even get sacked, although I don't believe that this was a sackable offence............. and move on with 'life'!

''......it is forbidden and a mortal sin to commit suicide and people who did, at one time could not be buried in hallowed ground........... And yet, the same catholic church apparently holds a service,........''

Very true Idun, but it really shows a hypocritical attitude ( IMHO) of the church, and I speak as a Catholic myself.

[quote user="powerdesal"]''......it is forbidden and a mortal sin to commit suicide and people who did, at one time could not be buried in hallowed ground........... And yet, the same catholic church apparently holds a service,........''

Very true Idun, but it really shows a hypocritical attitude ( IMHO) of the church, and I speak as a Catholic myself.[/quote]

It's been a good few years since this has no longer been the case. Things have moved on and

with the growing knowledge of depressive illness, the catholic church accepts there are

many elements which can diminish the responsibility of the person who

chooses to take his/her own life and it allows its priests to decide what the best in each case, after consultation with the relatives of the

deceased.

There are many things that have moved on, but the church does not accept them in any way. One prime example being, the use of condoms to stop the spread of AIDS. I wonder why suicide has become 'acceptable', when giving someone else AIDS is tantamount to murder in the third world, as proper medication is not available.......?

So was this lady mentally ill? is this is what is being said? because, in real life, this was not literally a 'hanging' offense and yet she took it as such. As I said, I feel like I have run out of patience with the whole affair.

[quote user="idun"]There are many things that have moved on, but the church does not accept them in any way...[/quote]

Clearly, it is open to the consideration that people take their life under whatever influence makes them believe they have no other option.

[quote user="idun"]So was this lady mentally ill?[/quote]

Do you think there's anyone on the forum who is able to give you an answer?

I read that this woman was the senior person on duty, and therefore in charge. She passed the hoaxers on to the nurse who gave details of the Countess. I can understand why she would feel so guilty, as she could have stopped it there and then if she had realised it was a hoax......... if she hadn't been so tired ............ if her English had been better. Several things to whip herself with. Maybe if she hadn't lived so far from her family she could have gone home that morning and spoken about it with her husband or even with her children; people who cared about her, and who she might have believed when they told her it wasn't her fault. But she only had her room at the nurse's hostel, far from her family ............

gardengirl said: ...... if her English had been better.

I have known quite a few people over the years not get jobs in France, because their french was not up to it, and were not applying for important jobs like nursing. I would have expected, in fact no, believe it should be the most elementary of  requirements to speak good english to be a nurse in the England. IMO that is essential, so the language thing should not even be mentioned, or brought up, should it?

And I know lots of people who work away from home. Many of my closest friends live in that situation and it really is a family choice. There are phones etc and skype these days, contact is no longer a problem.

And we are still no closer to why.

My own feeling is that her English was good but that she wasn't familiar with the Queen or Prince Charles voice or the likelihood that the Royal family wouldn't make that type of call themselves....

And I agree with GG, she worked away from home, had she been able to go home to a loving family things may have been a whole lot different.

Even those non-native speakers who have mastered English to the point that they can hold down a responsible job (and, AFAIK, nursing is a case where there is a language requirement..) will tell you that they find it hard to distinguish between particular accents. One of the negative aspects of living in today's technological age is that many, many people (and readers in France may even recognise themselves among these) living in another country are not obliged to watch TV or use the media of the country in which they are living, when they can get their "local" TV and news from the country of their birth. As a consequence, it's entirely possible that many non-native English speakers in the UK have never actually heard the Queen speak, and those who have would find it impossible to identify her voice or accent.

If you suddenly found yourself on the receiving end of a phone call from someone you believed to be the Queen, you might feel a bit flustered, and as a consequence your reactions may not be as calculated or logical as usual. Even if you were familiar with royal protocol, if there was a certain logic to the assumption that you were speaking to the Queen, your brain might not instantly start to question whether it was indeed her, whether it would be normal for her to make her own phone calls, etc.,etc.

Hindsight is always a wonderful thing.

[quote user="gardengirl "] But she only had her room at the nurse's hostel, far from her family ............
[/quote]The hospital have said that she was offered time off to go home and be with her family. but she refused and decided to stay at work.

So she did have the chance but of course it is easy when you are in a stressed situation to make a choice which in hindsight is not the correct one.

[quote user="Russethouse"]I agree Betty, my comments weren't meant as a criticism[/quote]

RH, I wasn't responding to your comments, more to the general tone of the few posts before mine. Even some of my bestest students say that they can't distinguish between the majority of British accents, and completely coincidentally, the topic of the Queen came up in a class a month or so ago and none of my students (some of whom have lived in the UK for a number of years) had ever heard the queen's voice. I played them a Youtube clip of one of her Christmas messages and they were all giggling at her pronunciation, but hearing her voice was a first for them all.