Advice needed

Hello , posted this on renovations section but no response so trying it here as relevant.Please can you advise me if we are approaching the following potential project in the correct way?
We viewed a wreck of a house on 3 acres a couple of weeks ago with a view to doing a renovation project, decided against the house as it was far to large for us ( 14 rooms )too costly to do to a good standard and there after a heating nightmare!!! very easy to dream of what it could be like but would have taken us about 10 years to get there! so we decided that the barn that was for sale with the house was a far more viable option for us given its size, new roof , dry interior, separate entrance etc... Through the agent we have approached the vendor about buying the barn and dependances as a separate lot with some of the land ( to be discussed with the vendor when he visits in April)but the agent feels that it wil be a positive response.
Now I know from reading the forum that you can have a clause suspensive included in the initial agreement 'subject to obtaining a certificate of urbanism' with the barn being an agricultural building. We spoke with a chap we know who is the local notaire to see if he knew anything about the area that suggested listed buildings, green areas etc... and to suggest any reasons why it wouldn't be agreed to.He felt there was not any potential problems for the area.
Before the vendor visits in 3 weeks do you think it is worth while approaching the local Mairie (covering the area where the barn is located) via the notaire ( as our french is still developing !!) and making enquiries about the likelihood of being able to obtain a permit for constuction after the certificate of urbanism? ( if I understand it correctly)
In addition to converting the barn into a house ( less than 170 sq metres surface area)we would also want to knock down the 2 unattached dependances or what is left of them - to clear an area in the front of the barn for parking and JCB to gain access when needed, install a suitable fosse, and have a mobile home on the site temporarily while the barn is made habitable. Can or should any of these be included as additional clause suspensives in the intial agreement or is it just be down to us to do after the certificate of urbanism is granted ?.If so it is possible to apply for this before the final signing to get things moving. I read somw where maybe on here actually , that you can gain some sort of attestation from the notaire to say you are in the proces of buying the property?
I need advice to know what we should do when so we don't end up delaying anything or negating it through ignorance.Although the above seems reasonable to us because we don't know the procedures involved it may be entirely the opposite of how we should be approaching it! And I may have got the wrong end of the stick entirely which has been known in the past!!!
Any advice appreciated.
Natalie

The granting of a CU is a commonly requested clause suspensive in a compromis when the subject property includes buildings to be converted. Leaving it out would pose a big risk in most situations; you could be forced to buy something you can't convert or else forego your deposit. Don't be shy when it comes to protecting yourself on such an important issue (and on the other hand don't sweat the small stuff). The only other issue might be that you get an idea of the renovation costs pertinent to the kind of CU you can get. If you are in an exceedignly regulated area you need to know if you're going to incur far above average building costs. Perhaps another forum member can comment on whether that concept can be introduced into a compromis. Remember also to require that you be apprised of and approve any rights of way issues after the land has been divided by the geometre. Your compromis should state that the property should comprise the bits of land as described, and be free and clear. That's in addition to any other typical clause suspensives (such as termite, financing if required and so forth). Good luck.

Camille

www.maisonquercy.com