uk secondment or french 'citizen'

Db4

I work for a large American company in the UK, however my family and I want to relocate to France. The company has a branch in Paris (which I work very closely with already) and I want to see if I can get a transfer there doing exactly the same job as I do currently. Would I be better keeping my English contract (if I am allowed) or have a new contract issued on French terms. My job will provide the regular income whilst my husband runs a couple of gites or b & b. My son will need to be educated in France.

Hi

I work for a UK company in France. I conduct business in France and am paid in Euros, however tax is deducted in the usual way ie PAYE.

The tax officials in France were happy with arrangement last year when I had to submit my tax return , I just needed to show them my contract and proof I was paying tax in UK.

Ian

I have done the same thing, I opted to do a formal transfer to the Paris office. Advantages:
- Social security contributions (cotisations) are all handled for you (and they are large and difficult to understand)
- French employment contracts are normally harder for the company to get out of
- I don't know what your circumstances would be if you lost your UK job while resident in France. Getting benefits might be a problem from either side.
- Getting a CdS was a doddle with a French contract, and it lasts 10 years. Might be harder with a UK contract
- It seems to go down better with the French that you are paying into their system!

Some advice:
- Get continuity of employment benefits written into your contract
- Get a letter stating what your salary in Euros will be at a time when the exchange rate is good!
- Make sure your contract clearly states it is a "Contrat de duree indetermine" - CDI. Otherwise the dear people at the prefecture might quibble.

• 1 month later...
John/Di - isn't this regional variation thing strange. Our Leclerc sells Twinings Earl Grey tea, I don't usually drink it myself but Judie says it's perfectly OK. And it's a French-pacakaged product, not something from the (thankfully) small and overpriced British shelf.

Now porridge... That's a different matter altogether. We'll have to try Tesco organic sometime, but I really miss the Flahavans oats that you could get in Tesco for a very short time, but short of a trip to Dublin we can't now get anywhere. I don't suppose a British grocer could help much, either.

Will (50)
Who DOES have a Siret number but worked 100% legitimately in France for two years without.

>Which products are so essential to
>daily life that a British
>grocer is needed ?
>

I can't imagine but I have to admit that when I was told that there was someone selling pasties on a local market I had to go and get one.

Liz (29)