house damaged after compromie

Elensw

I would be really grateful if anyone could advise: am i correct in thinking that if a property is damaged between the compromie and the acte de vente that the seller has to make good the damage. I did post below as a separate question as our seller wants to back out due to roof damage which has occured 12 days before the acte de vente is due. She was not insured so not happy to pay for repair. the agent who i think has others interested in the house told me the seller would refuse to repair the damage and if we were not happy to walk away (nice agent !) i checked and found that the law prevented this..its written in our compromie also that we can force a sale if she refuses and claim damages for costs. My first question is does anyone have any suggestions...the roof was damaged to start with but repairable at a cost of about 4000 euros...it had holes in...now it needs total replacement at a cost of about 20,000 euros min. Obviously i dont think we are entitled to a brand new roof as it was damaged to start with..and how can the owner repair it to the standard it was when the compromie was signed(Ie damaged!). The price of the house was only 55,000!.if anyone has any clever ideas for a compromise i would be really grateful!

Second question, can anyone recommend a good solicitor in France..i am pretty sure the law is on our side and dont want to waste time in sending letters too and fro and would rather reach a simpler solution...but just in case.

Thanks!

Have you spoken to the notaire handling the sale? The notaire is a sort of combined lawyer and civil servant, ensuring that the transaction is carried out properly and legally, and as such is (or should be) impartial. You, as buyer, are paying the notaire anyway. I also think the agent should be doing more for you.

This might be better, at least in the first instance, than spending extra on another lawyer. If the notaire isn't cooperative, then you will of course need another legal opinion.

Will (50)
Forum moderator