Fosse Septique

I have just had a frantic phone call from France to say the the fosse has overflowed. We have no idea why this should have happened as it wasn't anywhere due for emptying. Interestingly the problem didn't occur until the day the guests left and they have been uncontactable since!!

The fosse has been emptied and I'm hoping that that is the end of the problem. However the cleaning lady is suggesting that I need a builder to enlarge the pipes to allow more flow from the property. This doesn't make much sense as we only have a washing machine, whereas the previous owner was also running a dishwasher. I am also reluctant to start doing any immediate work as I understand that there is new legislation regarding fosses but I can't find any details anywhere - any suggestions where I might look.

There is more about this in the House Renovations Forum. The best place to go for information is your Mairie, who should have forms etc. However you may find that you don't need to make any changes if your present system works and you're not polluting your neighbour's land. If you need to make a declaration de travaux etc the new rules say that the drains must be updated first - this has happened to us. But things may vary from one area to another. Pat.