History of house

We have original documents for every time our house was sold from 1794 onwards. I am surprised how easy most of them have been to understand, the writing is clear and the language quite simple. For 2 particular sales every room is listed in great detail down to the number of panes of glass in the windows and the quality of the door handles. The papers from 1794 show the house to have the same layout as it does now which to me means it is older than this. I have heard that during the revolution towns were ordered to burn all pre-revolution papers so any suggestions as to how I can find out its history pre this date. I have already asked at the Marie and they have confirmed they do not have any papers relating to the town the pre-revolution. The Romans were in the town 2000 years ago and the house is right opposite the church so I feel there has probably been a dwelling there for many, many years.

Thanks

Diana

Hi

I ran into the same pre - revolution problem.

I've found out a bit more through :

local history society
reprints of old books
archeological architect at the prefecture
tourist information office
old town plans at the prefecture

I've found that my ground floor is about AD1050, upper floors (wood ?) destroyed in a siege 1200, originally 2 buildings, upper floors rebuilt 1300 - 1350, "new" staircase built 1350 - 1380. Was originally used as a warehouse for animal skins. Then was a butcher, tannery, warehouse, and eventually one dwelling.

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I had seen Celestine advertised on Amazon and was considering buying it for its story but as it seems I might learn something I have just ordered it. Can you just turn up at the Prefecture or do you need an appointment.

Thanks

Diana