roadkill

I ran into a deer the other day (actually it was rather the other way around).
Anyway, I stopped and looked at the dear old thing - quite dead it was - and then wondered just what to do with it, as slaughterhouses can't take them and I wot not what to do with all the entraily thingies.
Talking to a neighbour of ours yesterday, she informed me that all game that is roadkill must be taken to a retirement complex!!!Apparently this is the law, but I don't know if it must be the nearest "Maison de retraite" or your local one, or the one in the commune where the kill took place, or WHAT!
Answers on a postcard, and one could let one's french bureaucratic imagination run wild...it's the silly season after all.
By the way, my neighbour is an entirely serious and trustworthy source, and I for one believe her.

LAST EDITED ON 09-Aug-04 AT 06:49 PM (BST)

Entrail-y things are always a problem and much messier to translate than runes, I find.

More helpfully (perhaps)

http://www.oncfs.gouv.fr/
This is the website of the Office National de la Chasse et de la Faune Sauvage and, this being France, they produce a very helpful leaflet entitled: What to do when you find a wild animal wounded or killed (tho in French, natch). Its a very comprehensive leaflet covering discovery of poaching and poisoning of wild animals as well as the presumably more common roadkill. It suggests that roadkill doesnt become the property of whoever runs it over. But Ive a sneaking suspicion that anyone knowing what to do with a freshly killed deer isnt going to turn it over to the local Mairie.

Therere relevant FAQs answered on this page.
http://www.oncfs.gouv.fr/faq/questions/questions09.php

Otherwise, substantially I hope accurately prcis-ing part of the leaflet:

Whether the animal is protected or not, wounded or dead, notify Notify the Marie, or the local Fdration des chasseurs, or the ONCF which seems to be well-represented across France or the Gendermerie. Obviously if the animal is alive and wounded, speed of notification is key. If the animal is not protected, is dead and weighs under 40kg (scales in the back of the car, anyone?) you can bury it. If its over 40kgs, it should go to the quarissage which Im translating as the knackers yard. If the animal is wounded but non-viable, the Marie will authorise someone to deal with it; if it can be saved, an authorised person will take it to a wildlife protection centre. I can find no mention of a maison de retraite. Which I think Im slightly relieved about. Maybe your neighbour used a colloquial phrase for knackers yard?!

Carole

A guy ran over a deer, which was popped in a freezer and the committee des fetes (we are on it!) had a lovely christmas dinner after putting up the street decorations - the guy was invited as guest of honour, but his car was a right off.

Jane