archives/search

Sue Smith

Our passports need renewing in June next year. I'm not sure what to do as we now live permanently in France and we have British passports. I have tried using the search facility, presuming that this will commence an archive search. It doesn't. All I can access is a mish-mash of posts, mostly recent, covering a wide range of subjects, none having anything to do with passport renewal. The first ten or so posts are shown but the following pages don't seem to appear when requested. Maybe the relevant info. is in these following pages which I don't seem able to access? Please can anyone help?

Regards,

Sue.

Sue, I found some references using the 'advanced search' but the information you wanted was in the archives for the old forum, which did not get transferred. Fortunately I have a record on our Normandy site which I have copied across - I have a feeling that if you are south of the Loire the place where you send your renewal forms may be slightly different, but the Consulate in Paris should be able to advise you. Note that for a straightforward renewal it is not necessary to get the application and photographs countersigned.

"The British Embassy in Paris has a web page which explains about renewing passports. You can download and print the forms and notes from the site. http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1059132503646

Those in our part of France need to apply to the Consulate-General in Paris, address below. You can go there in person or apply by post - but five working days are needed to prepare the passport so it will mean two trips.

If you have any passport queries, or want to check on the progress of your application, then the phone number below will take you direct to the passport department rather than using the number on the website which is the embassy's general switchboard and is often very busy.

Street address: British Consulate-General, 18bis rue d'Anjou, 75008 Paris
Postal address: British Embassy, BP111-08, 75363 Paris Cedex 08
Passport department tel: 01 44 51 31 40."

I got a new passport earlier this year.  I got the forms from the consulate in Lyon, but they don't issue passports, only the embassy in Paris will do that.  The difference with renewing a passport in England was that I needed to have a photo signed by preferably a British person who is also civil servant/school teacher/priest or someone along those lines who'd known me for more than two years.  In England you only send another photo apparently and the whole signing the back is just for a first application.  Not easy to find someone!  Also, and this is a major difference, it costs 85 euros - I have since asked and it is less in the UK, but hey, we don't pay our taxes there so we pay the service I suppose.  Anyway, I did it all by post once I had the form and it all went swimmingly.  It took just under 2 weeks I think.