Gas Cooker

St Lo

Hi,

This is my first time on a forum and I have already found some very valuable info "Thanks all". I am starting the re-furb on my house in Normandy and I hope to use a caravan cooker purchased in u.k. to cook for the troops, can anyone tell me if it will be a case of just changing the regulator and away we go??

Regards St LO.

You need to make sure you get the right sort of regulator to suit your French gas bottle - butane or propane. Unlike some other countries, the colour of the gas bottle doesn't necessarily denote the type of gas inside. The jets required in the cooker are the same for butane or propane, and the burning characteristics are similar, but propane has to be kept outside so butane is probably a simpler (though not necessarily safer) option.

The good news is that if your caravan cooker is OK for British bottled gas it should be perfectly OK on the French equivalent. The difference is the fittings on the bottles, so you will need a French regulator (detendeur - available everywhere) - so yes, change the regulator and it will work. However you should be aware that the flexible pipe that goes between the regulator and the appliance has a 'safe to use until...' date in France: your insurance is likely to be invalidated if you have a problem and the pipe isn't in date, so it would be a good idea to change the pipe too.