I love France

Just wanted to say that during the last week, I've given bedding plants to neighbour, she's given me lettuce, eggs, a rabbit (for the freezer, ready to cook and sans tete) She's weeded in my potager for the plantains apparently much in demand as rabbit food.  I've made jam (first time ever) because we have so many strawberries.  I've given plants to another friend and received walnut liquer in return.  I've improved my French albeit slightly and not a penny has changed hands.  We've got mechious (probably wrong spelling) to go to next month. Hope everyone else is having as good a time as I am. And we'll be able to watch feu d'artifice this evening from the garden.

Absolutely - just makes me sick with longing to move over permanently. Alas, no one will buy our house in London...we'd join you all 'in a New York minute' if we could. Please treasure those simple things - in 'our' area of France, it's the Christmas Lights Competition (London equivalent = b***** all) Hallowe'en party (London = b***** all) Ducasse (London = you jest, surely...)Memorial day (London = Yer woh?)and village tradition of 'Un petit verre' when you pass your neighbour's house (London equivalent = 'we don't drink wine')