Exchange Rate

On the assumption that the majority of the participants of this Forum rely at least in part on £ income to help fund their French dream, you will be pleased to know that the spot £ to Euro exchange rate has broken through 1.50 today and stayed above.

It is not that the £ is strong, quite the contrary, more that the overvalued Euro is weakening. As international sentiment against the Euro is bearish, and most Euro zone governments will quietly welcome a more competitive currency.

Personally, from a UK/France spending comparison perspective, I have always thought 1.50 to be the rate above which France starts to become cheaper than the Uk from a £ perspective. 

Unless you have a crystal ball, who really can forecast the money markets it is always a gamble. If you a refering to a large some of money then why not hedge your bets and buy now half your euro requirements. With this method you are part protecting money which ever way the euro goes.

Baz

France is not cheaper than the Uk, or vice-versa. It really ALL depends what you spend your money on ! But, even so, on a giant basket of 500 products, anything from house alarm systems to ASDL packages, I bet half would be dearer in France (sometimes a lot more expensive) and half in England. Well, that's my findings after 25 yrs in France and nearly as many in the UK.