Stay in Paris.

Bobdude

Hello,

My son is planning to stop the first two nights of his honeymoon in Paris, in a hotel in the Champs Elysees.  They are travelling by car from Boulogne but don't know the best place to stop and park the car, to continue by tube or bus (park & ride?) Is parking around Paris very expensive? Also help with the best routes to take would also be appreciated. (They are driving on to the Centre (Indre) after the first two nights. I have only been to Paris once, coming up from the Indre, and we parked at Orly and took the tube, which was hassle-free, but I don't know what to advise him when coming from Boulogne.

Thanks a lot.

Oh this is difficult.  Although we lived in this area for years, we lived without a car as firstly we didn't need one and secondly there was nowhere to put it even if we did!  Not only expensive, parking slots are hard to find.  I can picture many, many private car parks but can't remember particular names.  However, why not ring the hotel Concorde la Fayette at Porte Maillot for I'm sure there's a large car park as part of their hotel/apartments/shopping complex but whether it's available for overnight stays and/or non-residents is another matter.  Best off though, if they're coming in from Calais, why not park at CDG, which they pass, and take public transport (or the Air France bus) into town.  I think this is what I would do if I were in their shoes.  They would also then be well placed to travel round the Peripherique and down one of the arterial roads to the Indre, which is where exactly?  Off the A71?  M

I know it is difficult - I'm worried sick at the thought of them lost in Paris! We live in France, and we avoid Paris at all costs when driving North. The Indre is virtually directly South from Paris (Direction Chateauroux) and the motorway takes you past Orly airport. But I like the idea of parking at Charles de Gaulle - easy for them to find and plenty of transport into the centre, and like you say, easy to get back onto the peripherique (oooh - just the mention of it brings me out in a rash!! :confused for the drive further south. Thank you for the link to the car parking in Paris also. I have printed off a decent map which should help them. Just one point - I don't suppose anyone knows what it costs to park at CDG? Obviously they would need to look for a long-stay car park (for two nights) What would that be called on the signs? (They don't speak much French I'm ashamed to say)

There was a thread on the subject of parking at CDG recently.  Try the search function.   Know where you are now, should have known before as I've driven past enough times!  You're off the A20, the Limoges, Cahors, Toulouse road?  That's pretty easy from CDG as Orly is signposted most of the way, just have to get in the right (though actually it's left, isn't it?) lane at the Nantes/Bordeaux split.   M

Thanks - that sounds quite simple. It's just a 'mother' thing I suppose, worrying too much. Yes, we are just off the A20 you are right. My favourite motorway 'cos it's free!

I am a bit paranoid about Paris I must admit - I don't like driving in London either! On out last trip to the UK we ended up in Paris (unintentionally as we usually avoid it!) and just tagged along behind a lorry from Holland. Every time he changed lanes, we did - LoL - it was a bloomin good job he wasn't going to a supermarket in the centre!