Remembrement

SC

Our commune is currently undergoing a remembrement. It's primary aim appears to be to acertain if the current record of ownership of each parcel of land is correct and to reclassify the taxation class where justified. As a byproduct, multiple parcels with common borders under the same ownership are to be renumbered as one parcel, and small surrounded/stranded parcels will be included in the larger parcel, exchanged for presumably a similar but accessible small parcel.

I would like to know if anyone has experience of a remembrement (the whole process takes several years) and knows of any pitfalls or has advice they can share. Like most French former farms, our property is composed of multiple small parcels, and one tiny parcel is owned jointly by us and an old French friend and his mother, who died in 1975. Also for six years we have tried to buy another parcel from an estate following a death.

Thanks,

Steve

We had one here a few of years ago - our land wasn't affected (probably because we don't have much), but there were many trees ripped up as the borders between land parcels were redefined and the countryside looked a real mess and very sparse. Our friends' had numerous meetings over how the remembrement was to be done and there were a lot of disputes between the local land owners on what was the fair thing to do in the division of land. Oh, one of the contractor bulldozers used by our neighbour to 'redefine' an ajoining field knocked the corner out of our bread oven and never had the courtesy to replace it. Neither did the neighbour. You also have to replant the new boundaries with new trees. Sorry for not being more helpful!

Well thanks for explaining what it is.  There are stickers all round our canton at the moment "Remembrement?  NON!"  And I had no idea what it was all about.  I think there was also a meeting about it some time last week.  Is this something that the locals can refuse to do if they are in the majority or is it something that can be inflicted upon them by the local conseil?

Its inflicted. Farmer friends said it was in order to classify land for tax purposes and as far as they were concerned that was it. but it is more far-ranging than that and can simplify some of the daft results of division of fixed assets. My advice to others from my experience so far, would be to attend all meetings and try to understand everything.

Re 'non a la remembrement', perhaps you area has undergone land drainage for example, and is now of better quality and will thus be uptaxed, some folks obviously don't think it should be!

Steve