How Nice...

This afternoon I had to go to Niort and was not sure where the address was in the town.  You know how it is, once you get there into tiny streets, roadworks, one way streets, I was not sure which way to go.  At a sort of junction in some roadworks I saw a yellow post van trying to go the other way, so I pulled over and asked him if he knew of the address where I wanted to go.  I looked a bit vague when he pointed the direction and asked if it was near, he said that it was quite far "back up and follow me".  So off we went turning through all the tiny streets until he finally stopped in front of a building.  He was a young boy and he got out pointing, telling me it was there.

When everyone, especially in towns, is always in such a hurry and only concerned about their own affairs, I thought (and told him) "How Nice".

The same happened to me Christine. I got lost in Bradford on the ring road. Im afraid i did a very girly thing, i came off and parked up on some waste ground, and burst into tears. When i calmed down, i noticed a building (think it was being used as a church), anyway i went in (still crying), and this lovely man got into his car and told me to follow in mine and he would put me back on the right road. It must have taken him 10 mins. It totally restored my faith in people [:D].

It's really nice when that happens, isnt it? Gives you faith in human nature.

It's happened to us several times[:$](we now have a GPS!) also to people that have been staying with us. We even had one lot of visitors who got off the TER 2 stops too early, so 2 villages away. Some lovely guy stopped & asked them if they wanted a lift, there were 5 of them. He delivered them back to us & we lived way off the main drag, then shouted out with a laugh & in English, 'I think these are yours!' [:D] 

I remenber once while hitch hiking in germany in my youth, a posh young couple picked me up, (not your normal type to stop) In a BMW,and i was expecting it to be a part lift as I had a few turn offs to go. but they asked me where I was going and I asked them where they were going and we agreed the best place to drop me off, then it started raining and they said they would take me to the place I was going to, which was 50Km ish out of there way, I was very shocked and thought how nice of them , they were loverly people and it was a nice journey with them, when we got there the man got out carried my rucksack into the hostel for me and checked there was a room for me, and that I was was safe then left. After an hour or so of booking in settling down and meeting people I realised I had left my carrier bag which had my food in for my tea, on their back seat, so I cursed my self and sat down in the living room to look forward to a hungary night, But they came back and brought me my carrier bag, and added some chocolate and biscuits. I really couldnt beleive there kindness, I said thankyou and told them how touched I was, and asked if I couldnt give them something towards his petrol as i guess they must of done about 150 extra km just for me. and I have never forgotten what he said " No I dont need your money I have plenty, but one day if you see someone who needs help, help them and you will have repaid me" I have never forgotten that and have made a point to help people through out my life and have passed on what he said to them, when they have thanked me.  Its funny as not a lot of people have left such a lasting memory as that couple did apon me and I was only with them for about an hour or so.