French Fish

mint

Trying to feed OH, who doesn't eat meat, is exercising my culinary inventiveness a little.  Although he would not eat all types of sea food, he is generally OK with white fish.

But, the array at the supermarkets, whilst spectacular, leaves me a little nonplussed.  For example, what is Panglas or Julienne, or indeed Lieu (not to mention Lieu Noir)?

With a bit of experimenting, I am getting to know which ones fall apart in cooking and which ones keep their shape.  However, that is the extent of my knowledge.

I can generally guess that cod must be cabillaud, but what is morue?

If anyone can throw some light on these fishy delights, I shall be most grateful. 

I can strongly recommend Dorade which I think is sea bream in english. They are moderately priced and usually sold as whole fish, gutted. Try to find large ones. Just cut off the head and tail , brush with oil and grill on both sides. Similar (and even nicer) is Bar, or seabass, but more expensive. Also good and cheap for a fish pie is Perche de Nil, sold skinned and filleted. A very "meaty" fish with no waste at all. Fresh sardines are very cheap and tasty, grilled.

Have noted your recommendations, Pat.  Thank you.  Since last Friday, I am the proud possessor of one of those heavy grill plates that sits on top of the large gas burner and I tried cooking some salmon on it.  The taste is unsurpassed.  Will be on the look out for fresh sardines.