What are these Bees doing ?

Bugsy

Watching some 'orange-tailed' bees visiting the water-drain holes in one of our windows. Backwards and forwards for a couple of days and finishing off by sealing the hole perfectly with a waxy mud.

Have they left eggs or is it a food supply ?

Fascinating to watch.

It could be that he was burying his lover in your window frame? I have heard they do this in the bee communty. I looking at a load of ants yesterday in me garden, and they were coming out of a bit of me wall with another ant on their backs. Of course I thought they were making love on their way, but they were actualy taking out the dead ant bodies and leaving them at me door. Ants are so very strange creatures, they never sleep either.

It will be one of the species of mason bees, in this case the red mason bee. In a nutshell they lay an egg, pack it with a bit of pollen and nectar, then lay another and another repeating the process, finally they seal it. The eggs have their own food source for when they hatch which is sufficient for them to develop and pupate, finally hatching next year to repeat the process and continue the cycle...

but I suspect that you knew all that.[;-)]

Chris

I have some hives around the garden for the mason bees, bundles of hollow tubes impregnated with bee ?pheromones.  Mason bees don't dig 'burrows' but use holes that already exist.  They're also stingless but are great for the garden because they're early pollinators.

The Oxford bee Company started a sort of appreciate mason bees a few years ago and that's where I got the hives from but can also use bundles of bamboo.