Complete France Forum

Shocking EDF facture!

I have today received my long awaited EDF bill after reading several sources that the actual increase would be 5% or 10% etc, but I was not prepared for the montant de la facture to be minus €7.76 [:D]

This is a carry over form the time my meter was misread and the estimated bills thereafter being out of kilter and EDF steadfastly refusing to use my readings.

Anyway the actual increase in abonnement and KWH consumption that I (would) have paid is as follows:

Abonnement (6Kva) €7.86 per month, was €7.86 per month, soit +0%

Kwh heures creuses: 5.12cts, was 4.72cts, soit + 9.95%

Kwh heures pleines: 8.39cts, was 8.03cts, soit +4.88% 

Just who exactly out of their customers (as with a 6Kva abonnent I am one of the majority) is in fact going to pay 1.9% more I ask?

Perhaps someone on a non HP/HC contract can let us know what their increase is?

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

I have today received my long awaited EDF bill after reading several sources that the actual increase would be 5% or 10% etc, but I was not prepared for the montant de la facture to be minus €7.76 [:D]

This is a carry over form the time my meter was misread and the estimated bills thereafter being out of kilter and EDF steadfastly refusing to use my readings.

Anyway the actual increase in abonnement and KWH consumption that I (would) have paid is as follows:

Abonnement (6Kva) €7.86 per month, was €7.86 per month, soit +0%

Kwh heures creuses: 5.12cts, was 4.72cts, soit + 9.95%

Kwh heures pleines: 8.39cts, was 8.03cts, soit +4.88% 

Just who exactly out of their customers (as with a 6Kva abonnent I am one of the majority) is in fact going to pay 1.9% more I ask?

Perhaps someone on a non HP/HC contract can let us know what their increase is?[/quote]

Having just received our invoice to 24 August I agree your figures but for a 9kW supply the monthly standing charge reduces from €14,11 to €10,10. How on earth anyone is able to work out an average and certainly anything near to 1.9% is beyond me.

I havent done any maths on the rates yet (and dont plan to either [:P] ) but for some unexplained reason, my latest bill is about 75% less than expected.

A true reading rather than an estimate? who knows....there is a seonsor on the outside wall for the chap to take readings from so I have no idea when or if he has ever passed.

Mine only gets a proper reading once a year although they do have to take the reading inside in the old bar area, a couple of years ago he misread it massively in my favor, as I wasnt exactly holding the folding at the time so I let it go to gain some breathing space, big mistake as 5 out of 6 of mmy (estimated) bills are now way out, "computer says" I use next to no electricity except for one period in spring where I use loads.

Anyway Dave without doing any maths you can tell which of your readings are estimated or relevé by looking at the "evolution de votre consommation" on the left of the front page, the readings in bold (only slightly bolder to my pauvre eyes) are the actual ones, the others being estimated.

If your bill is unexpectedly low (or high) it is usually following an actual reading, mine was minus €7.75.

Hi everyone

I have a residence secondaire which is only in use for less than 6 months, so you can imagine my shock when I received my yearly bill from EDF which is for over 700Es!

I do not have electric fires or heating.  There is usually one 1 person, sometimes 2 in the property with the occasional 2 visitors for a few days in the summer months.

I have a ballon (which I suspect may be the culprit), an upright fridge/freezer,  a washing machine, dishwasher (only on every 3 days), electric oven (not used frequently as live on salads in summer) microwave, kettle (I know this is heavy user), tv and computer (not left on when not being used), also electric blanket, and of course lighting and the pump for the fosse.

Fortunately I pay by direct debit monthly but of course have now been hit with the top up as they were apparently not taking enough.

Comments would be appreciated.

WendyG

My comments are:

Make sure that it is not a bill based on an estimated reading, most are. I mentioned earlier in the thread how to tell one from the other.

If it is estimated check it against your meter reading although you will probably still have to pay.

Find your last bill based on actual readings (which may be this one) and the previous actual bill, hopefully there wil be 12 or 18 months between them.

Either subtract one reading from the other, divide by the number of months and multiply by 12 to find your annual consumption.

Or add all the bills but the first together, divide by the number of months and multiply by12 to find your annual cost.

You can sign up on the EDF site to submit meter readings online so no more estimates.

You will of course need someone to actually read the meter for you but if you turn the electricity off when you are not there then you can just read it yourself when you leave than submit it when invited to by EDF which they do by email giving you a time window in which to to it.

[quote user="WendyG"]

I have a residence secondaire which is only in use for less than 6 months, so you can imagine my shock when I received my yearly bill from EDF which is for over 700Es!

Comments would be appreciated.

[/quote]

There could be quite a few reasons for an unexpectedly high bill.

As Chancer said the type of bill you have received could be the culprit.

Also you have not said what kind of tariff you are on; if, for example, the house is on a peak/off-peak tariff inherited from the previous owner, which is not suitable for your type of power usage.

If your water heater is 'on' all the time or whether it is new and the thermostat is set too high - this can happen with a fair percentage of new ballons.

Sue

Wendy, we have a fairly new one bedroom apartment in France and spend time there on and off throughout the year, making 6 months in total. We took electricity readings, as we were also paying by direct debit and wanted some idea of costs in case a large bill arrived in July.

There are just two of us, with a couple of visitors now and again, usually in autumn and spring.

We recorded units used, and I now know through this forum that 1 unit = 1 KWH.

We only have electricity, so that is all energy used. We have a washer/drier, hob and oven, heating, fridge, dishwasher, kettle, computer, plus hot water and lighting. We spend a lot of time there in the winter, and it was very cold even with what is supposed to be good insulation. So the 3 electric fires were used a lot, plus 2 fan heaters on very cold evenings. In the summer we used a couple of fans at times in the evenings, over about 3 weeks before we retreated to UK.

With the extra EDF wanted over and above our direct debits we reckon we've paid about 350 euros for the year. Strangely, EDF have left the direct debit at the same level for next year, despite us underpaying. We are on normal tariff with a 6kW supply; we started out on heures creuses for the first few months, before we realised and changed.

Your place is probably a lot bigger than ours, also your pattern of use may be a lot different. Most of our time there is in autumn, winter and spring, with just a short time in summer. But I hope that helps with your bill figuring.

Jo