Home

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many words, particularly those regarding building I only know in French, I have to describe them and ask if there is an English equivalent, lots and lots of words and phrases describing emotion, feelings etc I know and understand in French but would not have a chance of expressing in English.

I listened to a news report the other night where a couvre feu had been imposed and got really stressed because I could not recall this very basic term in English, I refused to look it up in the dictionary knowing that it would eventually come to me, at 3am "curfew" leapt out of my head and I could finally sleep.

I understand completely that one must translate into ones mother tongue and not the other way, I have gathered several howlers of examples and my French is now good enough to convince a few local firms to use me for the odd unpaid job, just for pleasure and networking, however as my English vocabulary is shrinking it is becoming more difficult and unspontaneous.

How do professional translators overcome this? Perhaps they speak English in the home?

Maybe I need Sky again [6]

Just came across this:

''Never make your home in a place.  Make a home for yourself inside your own head.  You'll find what you need to furnish it - memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things.  That way it will go with you wherever you journey.''  ~Tad Williams