Drink Drive Death Case Ex-Policeman Sentenced in Dordogne

Dog

[quote user="britgirl"]Bit of a sweeping statement based on hearsay. [/quote]

No offence, and not intended as a sweeping statement since not hearsay and I don't assume that all are the same; just completely separate incidents but both do involve early retired police officers and heavy drinking bouts, one hopes they are isolated incidents but a worry for their folks nonetheless.

Tony, I have followed this story and your posts - my heart goes out to you as this must have been incredibly difficult for you. Their wasteful deaths are a crime and as a policeman I am sure this makes this doubly difficult as you must have put so much faith in the law and its servicemen/women.

I hope Mr Bridges will get his cumuppence but often in life this does not happen.

If it were my family I could not rest until this very man drew his last breath. If he places so much value on his good name then this is where he will be hurt most. I would simply destroy it.

Awful, awful situation.

There is a pic of the bloke's motor here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1230486/Ex-policeman-French-court-accused-killing-wife-stepdaughter-in-drink-drive-crash.html?ITO=1490

I used to drive one of those a bit: my mates. Big solid old motors.

That was doing more than 62 mph to do that much damage; the things mullahd.........

And what a load of old toffee about a fault! That car couldnt "suddenly accelerate" that takes time.

whats more any really experienced driver would detect that type of fault instantly; and switch off the ignition.

surely, with all those kids not properly secured a sensible driver would go very slow.

Sorry old mates; sounds like a cocky lunatic to me..

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

The driver has let it be known that he is angry that he has lost his good name in his local area in the UK.  I make no comment! 

[/quote]

Oh dear... In comparing British Justice to French, I have mentioned this story on a Somerset web site, that is the last thing he would have wanted..... Oh deary deary me, I feel so ashamed...... never mind, I'll soon get over it... in fact, you know, I think I already have.

[quote user="Mickie Hill"]

There is a pic of the bloke's motor here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1230486/Ex-policeman-French-court-accused-killing-wife-stepdaughter-in-drink-drive-crash.html?ITO=1490

That was doing more than 62 mph to do that much damage; the things mullahd.........

[/quote]

Most of the damage would have been caused by the emergency services cutting the vehicle open, note the very straight cuts across the door pillars. The french drainage ditches will do the rest.

Hopefully he will hang himself.

'Stunned' is the only word I can find to describe my feelings on seeing the carnage that vehicle has suffered. I know even small trees are unforgiving but that Jeep is utterly utterly destroyed. How can that man live with himself.

I wonder if there is any way to take out a private prosecution against him, I'd contribute to a fighting fund for that in an instant.

Here's a sickening thought, has he collected any insurance there was on his wife's life or would an insurance company refuse to pay out in the circumstances ?

[quote user="AnOther"]

'Stunned' is the only word I can find to describe my feelings on seeing the carnage that vehicle has suffered. I know even small trees are unforgiving but that Jeep is utterly utterly destroyed. How can that man live with himself.

Here's a sickening thought, has he collected any insurance there was on his wife's life or would an insurance company refuse to pay out in the circumstances ?

[/quote]

I saw the vehicle at the scene with the bodies still inside it and yes, it was mangled before the Pompier got to work on it.  He actually hit two trees, one when he - literally - flew off the road which bounced him into another tree which stopped the vehicle.

As for the insurance payouts, I understand from the driver that he has received several substantial payouts, as has the other adult survivor who has supported him throughout.  One of the payouts was from a French insurance company which is a party to the civil cases against the driver who, of course, has no assets in France so he won't be required to repay the insurance company.  He has covered all the angles.

As for his good name, the more publicity his actions receive, the better people not directly involved are able to make their own judgement over his conduct.

Quite apart from the fact that I feel like a ghoull reading this thread and not entirely comfortable with it I am apalled that this creature has actually profitted from his misdemeanour.

A 200€ fine, whilst paltry, demonstrates guilt of a crime, a crime which resulted in the death of innocents. In this Country the tenet is that a criminal should not be allowed to profit from a crime therefore I would suggest that any insurance payout should be forfeit otherwise there is a very dangerous legal precedent in that it's acceptable to kill and then benefit from the Insurance.

The man is a criminal and beneath contempt, yes he made a series of mistakes with each seemingly more heinous than its predecessor, no he probably didn't intend to kill these people but to profit from it is an insult to the bereaved and to the Policyholders who have each paid their little bit to this .......'man' .....'man' doesn't seem the right word.

• 6 months later...