new furniture for new flat

bobbieb27

There is a Habitat in Nice.

But, Conforama and Fly are at the cheap and cheerful end of the market, so if you want something a bit different, or better quality, go to the indepedent furniture retailers on the outskirts.

Compared to the UK, furniture in France is expensive and the choice is poor.

I don't live in the Nice area but can I offer the following advice born of experience? If you are furnishing with a view to letting (seasonal, long term) then you generally need stuff that is washable, cleanable, easily replaced (eg; new slip-covers on sofas etc). Unless you are going up-market, then antique furniture may be more appropriate, depending on the style of the apartment and the building, your personal taste. In which case second-hand stores, brocanteurs etc are among your sources.

Whatever you choose, make sure it can be easily transported up flights of stairs or in a lift if applicable, not always easy in older buildings in town centres. A lot of modern stuff (Ikea, Fly etc) comes flat-packed and/or by mail order - somes friends have just had an Ikea kitchen sent from Montpellier, unfortunately in 112 un-marked cardboard cartons. Note that many of the stores quoted charge quite heavily for delivery, unless you hire your own or their van and do it yourself.

P-D de R.

La Redoute and especially the am/pm range is quite good, you can order it online and coordinate delivery for when you are there and for France the quality is quite reasonable. Personally I'd rather buy good quality second hand so sites like leboncoin and ebay could be a start, but often I'll ship something special from the UK and often works out cheaper.