SPANC (down Norman)!

We had a SPANCing a short while back and we do have a grease trap, but it doesn't appear to be a must, so if you have one then yes but if you don't then no [:-))] A good friend has his SPANCing on the 26th. He hasn't got one, but that will not be a problem. But he will probably be told that the fosse will have to be upgraded, if the new owners want to?

We were also told that the fosse doesn't meet the new standard and that the new owners would definately have to upgrade it, if they want to that is [8-)] and that is what the notaire told them at the Compris de vent last week! It makes about as much sence as a boat load of things here, i.e. non at all!

It makes no sense at all!

And yes we have a buyer [B][B][B][:-))]

My fosse septique works fine, its fonctionnement particularly admired by both the SPANC technician and the vidangeur.

However, the latest SPANC visit a couple of years back wanted to see the bac a graisses - something which I have no idea whether I have or not. It was never pointed out to me when the house was built, and I am reluctant to dig down if I don't even know it exists.

Anyone know if this would have been a compulsory feature 25 years ago?

My house is currently on the market, and I fear buyers could be put off if they think they are going to have to renew the system within a year of purchase.

If you have a grease trap it would need emptying at least once a year, so no digging should be required. It AIN'T my fave job [:-))]

As I said, we have just got a buyer, signed the compremise de vent on the 6th and was told by SPANC that the fosse will have to be changed, IF the new owners want to! So it's a mandatory change if it suits you, and must, or not, be done within a year.  The buyer, French, is quite happy with that.

So it's a complete contradiction. You work it out, I can't?

How lucky we were, our fosse emptied the clear water into the mains drains.  The water from the sinks and baths etc went straight into the mains drains too. So the muck from the toilet was our concern.

Glad we had not got one that was more complicated.

Mains drains? Is that the sewer drains or the rain water drain?

If it was the sewer then why have a fosse? If it was the reain drain then you wouldn't be able to empty any of it into there now, that is what I am led to believe anyway? Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

You have asked questions that I cannot really answer, only that that was what we officially had to have when we got the house built.

I do remember us thinking that we were going to be on mains drains, but just before we moved in were told to get the Fosse in and link the pipework in.

And so we had the double whammy on our water bill of paying for water and grey water. I do believe people should be responsible for their own m erde.?

It is a great system, and that was what they did in my old village, whether they still do, I do not know.