Guide book: Handbook for Travellers in France, 1843, by John Murray

Loiseau

I have just come across the above book as a free download on the internet and, being currently in the throes of editing a guidebook myself, am delighted to see that explaining different customs etc was as de rigueur then as it is now.

For example:

"In France, more than in any other country in Europe at the pre sent time, the passport is liable to be demanded at all times and places, and should always be carried about the person. The gens- d'armes are authorized to call for it not only in frontier and fortified towns, but in remote villages : they may stop you on the highway, or waylay you as you descend from the diligence, may force them selves into the salle a manger, or enter your bed-room, to demand a sight of this precious document. It is needless to expatiate on this restraint so inconsistent with the freedom which an Englishman enjoys at home, or to show that the police are a pest to the harm less and well conducted, without being a terror to evil doers ; it is the custom of the country, and the stranger must conform, or has no business to set his foot in it."

I read your posting and thought, wow, that sounds like something written a century ago, then I read the title properly!

Perhaps your guide book should carry  advice about not throwing a coffee in an Arab mans face and then expecting him to be prosecuted as the aggressor.