Garden shed tax?

My crazy neighbour....no really, she actually owns and wears a tinfoil hat...well, its a headscarf actually, but its apparently woven through with aluminium thread to keep the rays out......anyway, she was blabbering on today about a new garden shed tax where we are going to be taxed on the surface areas of garden sheds and outbuildings.

Her usual lunacy, or another ill thought out imposition?

I have to pay £1000 per year Council tax on my garden shed in the UK but in fact I am very happy to do so.

It came about when they served an enforcement order on me to stop using it as a dwelling, (think Asian back gardens in Hounslow and you will get the picture [;-)]) slapping the Council tax bill on me was just a way of adding the pressure, I was happy to pay it whilst I appealed against the enforcement order, it went to a public enquiry and I won which meant my old woodworking shed and attached wooden conservatory which once was my office then became a legal dwelling, the land it stood on (I had divided the plot) instead of being an extra large garden with no real value then had the value of a building plot for a house in a very sought after area.

My pal and mentor a few miles away that had converted a couple of grain silos into a château pushed his luck a little too far as he had already changed one outbuilding to habitation and won on appeal, they have long memories, he had to finally demolish it this summer, nothing ventured nothing gained.

I am sure they will eventually create a new tax on sheds and dépendances, the French will just moan a bit then pay up saying qu'est-ce qu'on peut faire?

I know in the my old area that shed were being checked to see if they were 'habitable' and so should be paying extra impots locaux etc. My friends Papa was caught out with his shed, which was fully fitted out, bed, chairs, cooker sink and little bathroom. And as it was his, that along with his work tools and machines.

So what blanket cover this would be. Send a drone taking photos and anything say over a couple of sq metres and tax it. Fairly easy I would imagine and very profitable for the state.

Will they do it, they have done worse IMO[:-))]

• 2 years later...