new to france

mikylla

Hello, I have quite a big ask.

I've never been out of paris in france and this year have decided to go on holiday with a group of friends and france seems a good option but i have no idea where???

There will be 8 of us, we would like somewhere quiet, a sucluded villa near a village for supplies and maybe a cafe or two. were not at all interested in a nightlife, prefering to have a bbq and few glasses of wine so a local vineyard is a must. we dont really mind about the sea being too close but there are a couple of keen climbers, and fresh seafood would be nice thinking about it. Somewhere cheap to fly to is also a must and we will probably have to hire a car but we dont really want to be further than an hour from the airport, or ferry i guess. And i know you cant predict the weather but would like somewhere sunny in early july.

Marseille area seems to be the best option so far but if you have any other ideas or know of any villas or villages to look out for please let me know.

Thanks in advance. 

Have a look at Collobrieres (Var) which is between Marseille and Nice, is up in the hills but only 45 minutes from the Med. I believe that there are villas for hire there. If you can get a flight to Hyeres (Toulon St Tropez) that is even closer.

Several restaurants, excellent walking and if your climbers don't mind a drive - or maybe a night away - there is the Verdon Gorge not too far away. There is (I think) also climbing to be had behind Marseille and Toulon. The local vigneron does wine by the bottle, in the box or en vrac (pumped out into your own containers and very cheap that way)

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have been working with France for a number of years and reading your criteria, as well as being a little like me (what I like from a holiday you describe well) I would head for the South West of France, Dordogne, Toulouse area etc.

Its green, calm, traditional...good value...nice restuarants and places to eat, rarely getting crowded out. You can stroll sleepy villages and towns taking in the markets and shops at leisure, vineyards, golf and relaxation! Many small airports supply the area (e.g. Bergerac, Carcassone, etc ... all Ryanair served) and car hire / driving is a doddle (where I first drove on the continent). If you want sea food, you may of course want to move coastal, towards Biarritz etc.

Good luck with what you find.

I am biased, but I found South of France gets a little too crowded for me, especially close to the coast where it gets packed and you can't easily move around by car. However, if Sun is top of your list then you will tend to compromise that criteria wherever else you go as the weather is not so predictable elsewhere. South tends to be 20/50% more expensive than elsewhere too.

I love the South West, especially in July which statistically is the dryest month. The Pyrenees have some great climbing. There are plenty of cheap flights to Toulouse Rodez Pau Bordeaux etc etc

The wine is basic drinking plonk, but I really like it - Cotes de Gasgoine, and loads of Armagnac too.

I find seafood is well catered for in most of France, either at the frequent markets or in all supermarkets. So you don't really have to be on the coast.

Have fun looking, I am sure you will find lots of other opinions about other areas of France that will be just as good.