Breakdown/Recovery for older cars

Alane

I've just bought the car of my childhood/teen dreams - a Triumph TR6 of over 30 years old. I'm already planning the best routes to our house in France and trips further afield - hood down, wind in the (remnants of) hair, basking in the sun etc.

Most of the UK based breakdown recovery services restrict their offering to cars of 10 or 15  years old. Has anyone experience of breakdown and recovery cover for older cars. I'm sure it must be available but can't find references anywhere. If necessary I'll put a box of spares in the boot and take the risk but if the cover is available I'd rather have it. I've had cause to use the AA 5 star twice this year (after years of trouble free driving) and on both occasions it has been invaluable.

Best Regards

Alan.

Alan,

Have you insured it yet? If not, have a look at Footman James, they do a very reasonable classic car insurance scheme which included European breakdown cover as part of the deal.

As the (ex) owner of a Caterham, I had cause to use it on more than one occasion!

Stephen.

Yes, this is a problem with the UK insurers. No risk taken for cars over 11years old.  When I was searching cover for my volvo in the past I did  not see anything for cars up to 15 years of age. RAC used to - if I am not wrong - but loaded the premium considerably.  However I  joined  MORE TH>N last year on the basis that  they do no apply age limits for european breakdown. Check it up.

Alternatively - and as you say you are a house owner - link the car to your household french insurance and the cover will automatically include - at no extra cost - vehicle breakdown , EVEN IF THE VEHICLE IS UK REGISTERED!

When  you want to save money and trouble,  the first place to search is ALWAYS in Europe!

Good luck.

Danglar

A friend of mine has an MG Midget and it is insured through the MG Owner's Club.  Perhaps there is such an organisation for the Triumph TR 6.

I know that he had European cover because his car broke down in France the year before last - the thermostat had developed a fault and it was overheating.  A local French garage called to collect his car and I took him in my car.  He informed me that the arrangements had been made by the MG Owner's Club insurance.