Normandie Express

Val50

Quick update on this route from Portsmouth to Cherbourg. Have used it 3 times now. Can't get over how small it is. Only one level for passengers to move around in, but so far hardly any passengers so space not a problem, although when I came back to France yesterday, there were quite a few couples with young children who were obviously bored and left to run up and down the aisles. Noise was a major factor and I can see a few accidents happening by the cafe areas. Last Thursday it was only running on 3 engines (one of the crew I spoke to said it was because of overloading but find that hard to believe - there were only 68 of us travelling back to UK on Good Friday!). Hope it is not a sign of things to come - remember it used to be a major problem with the P&O fast craft. The (GPS?) screen showing it's position as it crosses the Channel is quite interesting, and it seems to average 41 kms/hour (or is it miles) mid-channel. Down to 10 as you go into the Solent and Cherbourg Harbour. Found it interesting the technical crew all seem to be British (did notice the odd Australian/New Zealand accent amongst them though) and the fact the captain does the usual blurb as you arrive and depart from port, as well as the French crew (again very reminisant of P&O, could it be they are using their old crew from the fast craft). Foot passengers don't have to wait so long to embark/disembark as you walk onto the craft, but be prepared if it's raining, we got soaked yesterday leaving Portsmouth. Quite a few stairs to climb as well, as you enter through car deck, so make sure you ask for assistance if you are not so steady on the old pins! They give you a label to put on your luggage Portsmouth end but no-one checks in Cherbourg, luggage left on the side to collect as you get off the bus. Obviously a big improvement on the 5/6 hour crossing on the conventional crafts, but not sure how pleasant it will be mid-summer if it gets busier (mind you, with the quotes they are issuing can't see it getting that busy). As a foot passenger I find booking on-line using the UK site I get a 5 pound discount, and average 35 pounds a ticket, leaving Cherbourg Sunday night and returning Thursday afternoon. Same price I was paying using the Val de Loire or Barfleur. Times arent' too bad either. Leaving Cherbourg 20h15, I arrive Portsmouth 22h00 local time. Crossing has been surprisingly smooth as well, considering how small the boat is, although the sea has not been so rough lately.

Hope this helps if you are thinking of using this route. Will let you know if there are any problems!

Thanks for that info, very informative.  Is this the boat they went all the way to Tasmania to collect?  I thought it was supposed to be the biggest fastcraft in the Channel but doesn't sound as if it's any bigger than the Condor one.  I'll be using it as a foot passenger but having been to Cherbourg airport yesterday, it's a real shame Flybe probably won't continue there.  So quiet and troublefree, it was like going back in time.

I'm looking forward to trying it in a couple of weeks.

Normandie Express, like almost all the fast ferries in UK waters, was built in Tasmania and this particular ship was previously operated there by Tranzrail. It is 98m long, which makes it the biggest catamaran in European waters - the P&O ships were 91m and the Condor ships, like Speedferries, are 86m. It doesn't sound a lot different but 7m is 23ft, and there is a corresponding increase in the width. The later ships are a slightly different shape, which increases capacity further. Normandie Express takes 900 passengers and 267 cars. Condor Vitesse has the same passenger capacity (these ships have the passenger accommodation on two levels, Normandie Express has one passenger deck) but only holds 200 cars. So there's not that much difference in terms of figures.

By way of comparison, the original Hoverspeed catamarans were of the same basic design, but 74m long. They too had a single passenger deck, and caried a maximum of 450 people and 84 cars (source of information - the shipbuilder's sales literature).

Yes - I should have said catamaran 'of that type'. The Stena HSS is 127m long and about 40m wide, and carries 1500 passengers and up to 375 cars, much more like the size and capacity of a normal ferry except it goes at 40 knots, about twice the speed of the average ferry. I should have remembered those, I've been on them several times.

Pity they can't put one of them on the Portsmouth-Caen service, but don't rule that idea out totally. I don't know of any plans, but Stena used to go from Southampton to Cherbourg, and once P&O has finally pulled out...

Only in my wildest dreams do I allow myself to imagine Stena running from Southampton to Cherbourg again.  The brilliant restaurant, the excellent shopping opportunities, great disco. The quiz, bingo and cabaret on the afternoon sailings. The 30 minute shorter journey from the West Midlands. I know the ship is running Cherbourg to Ireland now but I dream of it being brought back.  I was very fond of the Stena Normandy, or St. Nicolaas as it was when it was on the Harwich-Hook route. The perfect ferry in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Travelled back again yesterday and all I can say this boat is not for the faint hearted! The sea was not particularly rough but we were********d around like corks in a bath. At one stage we were so far off course I thought we would dock in Calais!!! Seriously, speaking to the crew, the morning crossing was awful and they had to close the shop. On the afternoon crossing we were told to stay in our seats and before we left Portsmouth people were being told to sit at the back of the boat as it was going to be a bad crossing. Before we'd even left the Solent the boat was being********d from side to side, things sliding off the shelves in the cafe and shop. It was one of the worst crossings I have ever done and at one stage even I was a bit scared. I honestly can't believe they let the sailing go ahead and would hate to be on the boat in a force 5 or 6 sea. From experience I know May/June can be very windy and rough so would suggest anyone who is not a very good sailor stick to the conventional crafts over the next few weeks. The crew were saying passengers yesterday were changing their return bookings to the conventional craft as soon as they landed in Cherbourg. Just hope it calms down before I go back again on Monday.

I can confirm that motions are far less if you sit as close to the stern as possible, and amidships, on these ships. It sounds as if there is a problem with the ride control system, which is quite a sophisticated system of computer-controlled fins, and is normally pretty effective at dealing with reasonably rough seas. If one of the ship's four engines is not working it can unbalance the ship and make the ride control system ineffective. The crew can then carry on with three engines, which allows the ship to maintain speed but the ride can be uncomfortable, or can restore balance by shutting down another engine, which means that with only half power, one engine per side, it has to travel much slower - which if the sea is at all rough can mean it rides on the waves rather than slicing through them as it is designed to do, again a less comfortable motion.

Maritime safety regulations limit the use of these ships to certain wave heights. In the case of these catamarans the limit is a significant wave height of 3.5m, which corresponds to a force 5-6 wind, but depends on other factors too such as tide. So if the forecast shows that such conditions are likely to be encountered, the ships don't run.

These regulations don't apply to naval vessels of course. The US military has three ships on extended trials which are almost identical to Normandie Express, but adapted for carrying troops, military vehicles, helicopters etc. At a high speed craft conference I attended last year, it was reported that they have been used successfully at 35knot speeds in waves up to 13m high. I don't think I'd like to be an American soldier.

I've been sick twice on a ship.  Once going Weymouth to Guernsey more years ago than I care to remember.  My mother flatly refused to contemplate returning on it and we flew home.  She never set foot on a boat again.

Last time was P&O fastcraft to Cherbourg on it's second sailing and the crew really hadn't got the hang of steering.  Not anxious to repeat the experience so won't be using the BF one this year and am going to go from Caen tomorrow. 

I did quite like the Condor one last year but assume BF won't be leasing that this year?