opening a shop

jon

We are seriously concidering the purchase of a TOWN HOUSE WITH a shop and will open a couple of dayhs a week as a coffee/tea shop.Will we need special permission?The property is registered as part commerical.Jon

You won't make a living from a shop "a couple of days a week".

You do not need any special permissions, but you must comply with the various health regs (much the same as the UK), if you are preparing/serving food. This includes a mandatory hygiene course (in French). However, 'er indoors refused to attend, citing years of experience in the UK and appears to have gotten away with it....

On top of vast cotistations, you will pay "taxe professionelle" on the shop premises (like tax fonciers for private property).

You may find that renting the shop out will produce more income (if not turnover) for less work.

Well just thought that I would claify a few points.....ran a restaurant ....very respectable and with accolades....so know about health and safefty.Had to take an exam for the sale of intocating liquor...and have held many restaurant liscences....of course that was all in English.My French is not great!

The idea is not to make a living out of the two days trading....there is another project happening in the building which will provide the main income.Yes we may rent the shop.....however there is a great foodie market in the street on Sat and people collect from far and wide.I am fairly certain that we can manage more than 50 euros in a day...in London we often could take up to 1.400pounds ON A SATURDAY.....but I am not fooling myself.There is hoowever a difference between a good Brebis and Kraft Dairy-Lea!jon