Getting round Paris.........

Alcazar

We've got friends coming to us with their caravan for a week this summer. They are total novices at driving in France, with only a couple of trips to Auchan at Boulogne without the caravan, via the Tunnel, so far, although he has no fears of it.

Now I can do them a route down. I have done it so many times that I can almost do it without a map, and include roundabouts, (which exit) and even which lane to be in.

The problem is their return. They want to break the journey, camp ouside Paris, and go in on the train for the day, then return on the day after to the tunnel.

I've suggested a campsite I know at St Leu d'Esserent, allowing them a ten minute ride to pick up one of those day rover tickets, (Mobilis?) at a nearby station, Orry La Ville. It also gives them a fairly easy route from campsite to A16 for their return, and being north of Paris, makes it easier, the main conglomeration having been passed on the way in.

I can't see a simple ruoute from A10 to campsite though. Anyone know of any easy routes from A10 towards A16 round the WEST of Paris? Thanks,

Alcazar

A10 to Janvry (just south west of Palaiseau) then east on the N104 to EVRY, followed by a short southbound section alongside the A6, then it's east again on the N104 to Brie Compte Robert and up to MARNE LA VALLEE.  Then it's a short eastward link on the A4, then north on the A104 to AEROPORT DE PARIS CHARLES DE GAULLE. You'll know the way from there.....

An alternative is to come off the A10 at junction 11 then cut up the N191 to Ablis to pick up the N10 northbound via RAMBOUILLET to VERSAILLES, then cut through St Germain-en-Laye and up to PONTOISE.  Then take the D104 across to CDG....

Capital letters = destinations on green direction signs.

I agree with Sunday Driver to use the eastern route, and in fact used just that 2 weeks ago with a large van & caravan, it was very straight forward. 

In the last 2 years I have driven about 30,000 miles a year in France, much of it alone, and very often complete routes that I haven't travelled before. My motto is 'keep it simple' and I used this 2 weeks ago.

Travelling south I used the furthest destination sign board I could find when I reached Lille, which was Paris,Bordeaux, Lyon, then Nevers. That got me from Lille to Moulins (Allier) without looking at a map (although I do study the most up to date map before I set off).

I returned via the east of France on this occassion, but would have used Aeroport Charles de Gaulle and Lille going north. Also I keep a piece of paper to hand ( sunvisor) with the autoroute numbers, both E and A, in the order that they follow each other, and if it looks very complicated the junction number to change at/before/after.

This mostly works for me......hope it helps.

Jamie