I know people criticise Ryanair but.....

Yesterday I booked Limoges - Stanstead - Limoges for the beginning of July for a total of €10 all in.  No priority boarding, no cabin baggage, used an electron card.

I cannot get a return to Liverpool Street (about 40 miles) for that.

OK, they are rude - but so what?

We have booked Edinburgh - Limoges and return in early July, and booked the car through Ryanair (car rental was as good a price as I could find anywhere else).  Considerably cheaper than driving to Hull, ferry to Zeebrugge and driving down.  The down side - no restocking the cupboard with wine.  No problems with rudeness - did it all on line.

My brother had an experience using Ryanair in the past when the flight was late arriving at Limoges (surely not you say [;-)]) and he had booked the car through Ryanair - think its Hertz they use as partners.  Their desk had remained open to await the flight but the other car rental desks had closed up and staff gone home.  Left a lot of unhappy people trying to find a bed for the night so that they could pick up their car in the morning.

We're going out for a week on 17th June and paid £1 each way (no luggage, no priority boarding, no card fees - paid with electron).  I guess this will be the last at this price given the new £5 each way mandatory check in fee...

The substantive rise in APD (Air Passenger Duty) from November, will make these fares a thing of the past, as it is unlikely Ryanair will be able to absorb the higher taxes, especially as they are now operating at a loss.

The problem with these low air fares is they are seen as irresponsible by the authorities, with increasing concerns about the enviromental impact of flying and gives the government an excuse to double the taxes levied on airline tickets!