Renewing house insurance

Toodlepips

I am currently insured through my bank.  I know French law dictates that two months notice is given if I don't want to reinsure through them (although my bank have told me that the broker accepts one months notice).

So, how can I be sure I'm getting a good rate if my bank can only tell me my renewal price two weeks before the insurance runs out?

There doesn't seem to be any advantage in staying with  my current insurers.  I'm inclined to give notice that I won't be renewing with them and then give them the opporutnity to quote along with some competitors later in the year. 

Can anybody give me any advice on this please?

Also, does anybody have any recommendations for house insurance?  (English speakers would be a big advantage as house insurance is the last thing I want to muck up due to my terrible French!)

thank you

The period of notice used to be two months prior to the renewal date but people usually forgot the date and missed their opportunity.  After the introduction of the Loi Chatel in 2005, you now have two months from receipt of your renewal notice to exercise your cancellation rights. This will give you enough time to sort out any last minute competitive quotes. 

As far as your own bank is concerned you don't have to tell them you're not renewing in order to get a quote from them.  You can ask them any time - just like you can ask any insurer.....[;-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

As far as your own bank is concerned you don't have to tell them you're not renewing in order to get a quote from them.  You can ask them any time - just like you can ask any insurer.....[;-)]

[/quote]

I did this and was told they couldn't give me a quote until two weeks before my current insurance runs out (which seemed a bit daft to me!)

I didn't realise that I had two months from receipt of renewal notice .. .I thought it was two months before renewal -which is an impression my bank has encouraged! ... not mentioning any names (Britline!) I don't rate them and amnot with them for much longer)

The period of notice used to be two months prior to the renewal date but people usually forgot the date and missed their opportunity.  After the introduction of the Loi Chatel in 2005, you now have two months from receipt of your renewal notice to exercise your cancellation rights. This will give you enough time to sort out any last minute competitive quotes. 

[/quote]

I'll bow to your superior knowledge Sunday Driver but I thought the Loi Chatel gave 20 days from receipt of the renewal notice i e keep the envelope with the post mark on.

WE have just changed our House and Car insurance. When the renewal notices come from Gro... we took the notices to C.A and got a much better quote ,with better cover+ 10% discount offered for new business. They notify the old company as well. They couldn't touch Radiance for the 100% health cover and advised us that we had a very good deal .

There is usually a few deals about when you offer new business to an insurer and if you keep renewing with the same one you don't appear to get any of these offers.

Regards.

Sorry Benjamin - I just 'thought transferred' the two months across from the original question.

In the case of insurance contracts which are tacitly renewable, Chatel introduces Art L113-15-1 into the code des assurances which states that renewal notices must contain a reminder of the right to cancel, the deadline date for this being set out in the policy terms.  If the notice is sent out less than two weeks before that date, or after that date, then the customer has twenty days from the date of despatch of the notice (as evidenced by the postmark) in which to cancel.

In the case of insurance contracts which are tacitly renewable, Chatel introduces Art L113-15-1 into the code des assurances which states that renewal notices must contain a reminder of the right to cancel, the deadline date for this being set out in the policy terms.  If the notice is sent out less than two weeks before that date, or after that date, then the customer has twenty days from the date of despatch of the notice (as evidenced by the postmark) in which to cancel.

[/quote]

Hello to all , I have just joined this forum, I tried to cancel my insurance last year, two months before the renewal date (as required  by my  policy) but was told that they would not allow me to do so  as I had not sent a letter by registered mail. I have today just sent off a registered  letter cancelling the insurance, however I  cannot guarantee  it will be received  in their office before the two month deadline and I am panicking as I desperately want to terminate this relationship. If I have read Sunday Driver clearly can I assume that as I have not had any renewal notice that even if my letter is late it will not make any difference? Also am I correct in thinking that they had no right to refuse me last year as I did not receive a renewal letter then either, I only received an invoice after my annual term had actually started.