Habilitation: Travel Agency

waring

Hi

I run a concierge company in the French West Indies, and want to start providing my clients with Rental Villas.

Under UK law I am perfectly entitled so to do, as long as I am correctly bonded and trade within the law.

French law requires all sorts of qualifications, experience and paperwork that I do not have, and thus even an application for a licence is years away.

I am in effect being denied the right to exercise my trade.

I understand that delocalisation in terms of tax avoidance is a no-no, but is there a way there a way that I could open a UK company, and rent my villas from there, if I was resident in a French territory and openly declared my income to the French authorities and paid all appropriate charges and taxes?

Thanks in advance.

Already spoken to several French lawyers, and while they have a good grasp on French law, the EU aspect is missing.

Bluntly they don't know, and all I can find is legislation related to tax avoidance, which is not the aim.

I got a fat zero out of the EU as well. No reply.

Maybe I am being a little simplistic, but if you reside in a French territory, then you are liable to French law. What has the UK got to do with it? Are you a UK citizen? (Not that that makes any difference). Most French o/s territories are not in the EU, so I doubt if they could help.

Creating a UK company does not entitle you to trade in France automatically, and I suspect that property rentals is a regulated business in France and requires registration here - as I suspect you have discovered.

[quote user="waring"]

Under UK law I am perfectly entitled so to do, as long as I am correctly bonded and trade within the law.

French law requires all sorts of qualifications, experience and paperwork that I do not have, and thus even an application for a licence is years away.

I am in effect being denied the right to exercise my trade.

[/quote]

Join the club, Waring!  If you live in France abide by French law whether you like it or not.

Aly