Re: Local French history - Reference Libraries ?

la-vie-en-rose

We live inToulouse and there is a huge archive of material for the Department (and some regional), and I know Auch (Gers) also has excellent archive access.  If we go, we have hands-on (not gloves-on) access to old documents (dating back to the twelfth century), and we are also members of the Departmental "Les Amis des Archives" de la Haute Garonne.  See www.archives2a31.net for activities, including courses in reading old French documents...also see www.archives.cg31.fr for more info.

I guess this is similar in all Departments, so try looking in pages jaunes under Archives departementales - good luck and enjoy the search!

As with the Uk's County Record Offices, the Archives Depertmentales for each Departement are the recognised, legal repository for records within the Departement and it's where land registry, bmd records, notaire records are kept.

I've used them across France (it's what I do for a living) and they range from high tech, well catalogued and easily accessed to 'drag them out the staff with hooks'.

Also I've been amazed at the variations between the Archives about the right way to use the material.  Whilst working in Rouen, we were given stacks of 17th century original documents, uncatalogued, unsorted, over 600 pages - twice, different files - no gloves, nothing to hold them down, just use them and return them when you've finished.  Want to use your camera/mobile phone camera - not a problem!!!

Depends on the research you want to do but as with all research, consult the catalogue first and find your local historian - pointless duplicating the work.