Salamanders?

Hillsider

As a very new member of this forum and a keen but pretty uninformed observer of wildlife, I have noticed that you have your own expert in this section of the Forum - Chris pp. Well I hope either Chris or some other informed reader can help me identify a salamander or lizard.

I was house hunting in the Southern Vendee last month and saw two lizard like creatures in a hay barn. For some reason, I grabbed at one and actually managed to catch it which surprised me enormously, fully expecting it to scurry away at great speed. I put it down immediately and they both 'waddled' (would be the way I would describe their movement) off under the hay. Description : about 10cms long greeny/blue in colour with large black spots. I looked up lizards on the internet trying to identify them but could not see anything remotely as distinctively marked. A link led me to salamanders and they look much more like the little chaps I saw but I could not see anything European that was their colour. Large black spots yes but not greeny/blue. Someone told me that salamanders exude a toxin when attacked / alarmed. If this is so, I suppose I was lucky that my little friend did'nt coat me in some virulent poison! There's a lesson there for me - look but don't touch!

I would appreciate if anyone could help with identification. By the way I loved the house but my offer was refused. It is still for sale so thinking seriously of trying another offer. I would like to know what species my little neighbours are.....

Chris.....thanks for your prompt reply. Unfortunately great crested newts are not what I saw. The wee chaps did not have a crest and were much brighter in colour than the newts pictured. They greatly resemble photos of salamanders, only the colours of European salamanders were again not nearly so vivid. Guess their identity will just have to remain a mystery?

I would have thought the Vendee would have been chock full of newts with all that water in the Marais Poitevin? There are certainly billions of frogs and toads

I saw a beautiful one this morning (salamander), sadly it was dead (squished by a car), I know they move slowly as we've discussed it on here before but I can't beleive the luck of this poor creature, if more than one car comes down the lane it's a big event so how this one came to be hit by it is a case of very bad timing!

This is a very pretty newt I think. No, my chaps had far fewer and much larger black spots and lizard like tail (but fatter). I looked at the fire salamander (on the internet) as a forum member suggested. It is the right shape but predominantly black and yellow - not blue/green with black spots. The annoying thing is that we had a camera with us but they had scuttled off before we thought to take a photo. Chris, don't take any more of your time trying to solve the mystery. If I am succesful in buying the property, I will always carry a camera when I go into the barn and may resurrect the debate. Thanks to all.....