Developing my skills & Phrase books

Jirac18

I am now at the stage where I feel I can hold a reasonable conversation in French as long as I know the subject matter or general theme. Can you recommend any useful phrase books for coloquialisms (no idea if that is spelt correctly)and general phrases. I learnt French at school to O - Level some 18 yrs ago and have found this a really good base. I wish so very much I had tried harder then but I never dreamt I'd end up living in France. Wisdom is wasted on the old as youth is wasted on the young I guess! Any way I'm waffling well off the point now.
I depart by saying how much I really enjoy speaking French. It's actually quite exciting as a challenge!

I have just bought a book called 'Sky! Mortimer!/ Ciel! Blake!' by John-Wolf Whistle/Jean-Loup Chiflet, which is a cartoon strip type collection of 'Expressions Courantes' One side of the book has typical English sayings and their French equivalent and the other side has French sayings and the English equivalents, literally translated - it is quite amusing!!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
LAST EDITED ON 05-Apr-04 AT 05:15 PM (GMT)

I've been recommended a book this week which sounds just the sort of thing that you (and I) are looking for. But I can't find it on Amazon - has anyone else heard of it?

"Du Tac au Tac (anglais) by Jean-Pierre Ancle, Ed. Ellipses, 1999
ISBN 2-7298-4982-3

Apparently, there are 1500 popular ready-made sentences or expressions with the equivalent in French on the opposite page.

JudyM (14)