Open University L120 Ouverture

Milly

Just want to say a very big Thank you to all of you who have helped me with this course over the past few months .....

Today I got my results, (they did say we would get them on 16th!!) and I PASSED.... Hoorah for the sea and all that.

Look out L211 Nouvel Envol and Caen here I come............

Thanks again, and BTW I will probably need more help next year from February until October, pretty pretty please

Milly

Thanks Sue,

Don't worry too much about the course.  I enjoyed most of it, but parts of it I (and others) skipped as it was just too boring!!  We did, however make sure that we did the grammar activities.

Although I only managed to make a couple of the tutorials (they were so far away) i did find them very useful especially the last one, where you get to meet all those people with whom you will be doing your group oral exam.  Our tutor was excellent too, and always gave very helpful feedback on all TMA's.

I worked very hard on all the TMA's because I personally find the exam situation quite daunting, although the written part is done at home, just like a normal TMA.  The oral was really scary! My overall result for the coursework was 13% higher than my overall exam result.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any help at all even if you just need a bit of encouragement to carry on!

Thanks again and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum.

Milly, may I ask you a question, please?

I saw that you'd said you were doing the L211 course, starting Feb 2005.  From your experience of the L120 course, would you tell me if there is a huge jump in the difficulty factor between your Level 1 course and this Level 2 one.

Thanks in advance

CS

Hi CS,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find lots of useful advice, I certainly have!  I will try to answer your question as honestly as I can.

Well..... I am a very mature student of French!  I first started learning French at grammar school more years ago than I care to admit to, then much, much later at the age of 35 I decided to take my French GCE 'O' Level.  I managed and to achieve an A. Spurred on by this, a few years later I then went on to study A level, which I found really difficult at the time, however I did pass, but I certainly didn't get anywhere near an A!!! 

At the same time (1991) as I was studying for A level we bought our first property in France and consequently we spent lots of time in France and I used my French quite a lot.

A few years ago, we 'downsized' moved to rural Lincolnshire, where we knew nobody at all, and I was working at home. So, to stretch myself I embarked on studying with the Open University.  In my first year I did Health and Social Care (and passed!).  Meanwhile we sold our property in France although we still visited often.

In 2002 I thought I would study L211, but on receiving the books I 'chickened out', although it stated that you would need to be at about A level standard, it was all very daunting, so I cancelled!!!

It was 2004 before I considered carrying on again, so decided to do L120, to get into the OU style of language learning. I have to say I didn't find the coursework too difficult and I am now very glad to have started at that level, as I think it will help me to go forward to L211 with some degree of confidence as I now know what is expected.

We have also now purchased another property in France and go there often, obviously this helps with the oral work as you have to speak French in France in my opinion!

So, to sum up, I would probably say that unless you have studied French to at least a good A level standard recently, or are using the language regularly it might be better to start with gently with L120.  L211 appears to have a different style about it all together and of course you will need double the amount of time at least as L120 is a 30 point course and L211 is a 60 point one.

Sorry this is so long winded, but hope it helps a bit with your decision.  If you decide to opt for L211 I am looking forward to making contact with someone else  who is studying L211 who may be going to Caen in July/August of next year during the same week as me!!!

Best of luck and pease feel free to get in touch again if you think I could be of help.

Milly